1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

09 2500 HD Front end ...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by nekos, Oct 12, 2009.

1. nekos

nekos Senior Member

I just bought a regular cab 09 2500HD 6.0 and I'm a little worried about the FGAWR. 4800 Doesn't seem like all that much... At least not coming from a Ford with a 6000 FGAWR.

Will i need airbags or Timbrens on this truck ? I'm planning on throwing a 8 foot Pro plus with wings on the truck and I'm really starting to question my decision on buying a Chevy. Any help / advise would be appreciated. Thx :)

(edit)
    Also can i just throw 7000 lbs springs in it like i did with my fords ?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  2. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

Timbrens would be your best bet, since there are torsion bars there are no springs to replace/ beef up. You can also get heavier rated torsion bars. I dont remember the # for the bars but it may come up in a search. I carry an 8' pro with my '02 HD and have no problems with it.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Bilstein (I think) make air adjustable shocks for that year truck. That would be my first choice.

4. nekos

nekos Senior Member

Thx guys :)

BTW can you tell I'm not really a car/truck/mechanic guy ? lol

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's OK. At least you're not driving a SuperDoody anymore.:salute:

6. nekos

nekos Senior Member

I would be if i could find an XLT regular cab ! lol
    The only reason i went with a Chevy was because i got sick of looking for a Ford. That and the dealership i normally deal with tried to play with the numbers on a new F250 i was going to buy. :nono:

I'm not really brand loyal so i buy what i like/ works. Just happens to be that Fords are all i have tried so far. Hopefully i will be impressed by the 2500HD I do like the ride and interior WAY better then a Ford !

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  7. chitown sparky

chitown sparky Senior Member

I drove a 05 ford 250 truck for work for about 3 weeks while my van was getting work done I have a 07 2500 chevy and to me the chevy rides a lot better than the ford JMO

8. FSUPERDUTY

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

I just bought a 2500hd crew with plow prep 4800# front. I took the truck to work and weighed it 3500 pounds on the front 6500 total! yours should be even lighter. i turned my bars up to level it off. I have not had a chance to mount my plow yet but a strait blade should not be a problem and I would go 8.6 myself!

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Put 4 turns in the T-bars and add the Timbrens and call it a day. The truck will carry it just fine.

Be sure to use ballast as well. 600-800 lbs is a good starting point for a regular cab. Then adjust from there until it feels "comfortable".

10. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

I have an 2007.5 with a duramax and an 8.6 western and it handles it fine. Maybe a couple cranks of the torsion bars and your good

11. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

don't forget to get it aligned then.