1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

08 Superduty - Ready to buy one but confused

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Chris-R, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I'm ready to buy a new 08 F-250 but I'm not sure if I should get the FX4 or XLT. I've looked at both and just can't decide. I like the chrome on the XLT but the FX4 seems to give a better bang for the buck regarding wheels & suspension. Also, how are the tires that come with the truck? Are they okay in the snow or will I be spending more $$ for decent tires? Thanks for the help.
  2. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

fx-4 your really paying more for some skid plates some mild lift . if going to use the truck for like hunting some offroad use like a farm it seems to be the best way too go . xlt is nice a little basic . i would get the most what your can afford if can afford an fx-4 then def. spring for it . i think ford is using continental there ok IMO but if going to be plowing you might want some bigger meats
  3. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

I bought a 08 Lariet. I looked at the FX4 but you couldn't get the high end heat/ac that comes in the Lariet.

I'm not sure if Mike PSD realizes the FX4's are different in 08 than they were in 05. The 08 ones come in red, white or black only. They have a special leather interior available if not standard. The dash has graphite look verses woodgrain lariet look. They do have the skid plates and such.

My 05 was a FX4 lariet, heated seats, climate control ac/heat - I couldn't get that in 08..

I think the FX4 package is just as much as a Lariet for that matter, in 08....
  4. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

thanks framer 1901 ive only looked online at the new 2008 at the build own truck options
  5. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Tires by the way - 18" standard wheels come with junk Continentals - BFG replacements are like 1300. the 20" $1700 option wheel comes with Goodyears which looked AOK, replacement BGF's I heard were 1700..............

Ford needs to get on the ball and put reliable tires on their trucks.............
  6. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

It has been my feeling that the Fx4 rides ROUGHER than the 4x4 does. This is going back a ways though. I dont know how things are in the new trucks. Just my $0.02
  7. Greensway

Greensway Member

The Fx4 has better standard features - for an added cost.

I bought two 08's this summer ( one fx4 & other xlt ), the fx4 is definately the better of them, but you are right - the chrome looks better on the xlt.
  8. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Not to Hijack but. Do you have any pictures of your '08's with the plows on?
  9. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Thanks for your comments. I ordered the FX4 with a chrome billet grille instead of the painted grille that comes standard with the FX4. They say it will be 6 to 8 weeks before it comes in. I can't wait.
  10. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

What engine and cab did you get? Now is the hard part, the wait! Congrats You might be waiting a little longer than that. I know some guys on FTE that ordered there trucks in June that have not gotten them yet, and are still being told 4 more weeks.
  11. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I got the supercab with the V-10. I was concerned that the V-8 would not be enough when I plow some major uphill grades and the price difference was about the same as the cost of going to a Boston Red Sox game after considering tickets, parking, drinks, dinner, etc. I'll just watch an extra game on tv instead of going to Fenway Park and I have my V-10 for free purplebou
  12. Greensway

Greensway Member

13. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

What made you buy two new trucks? that is like 100k right there must feel it in the wallet.
  14. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Greensway, please post pics once you get the plows on. I'm very interested to see how things come out. Thanks. BTW, nice trucks:)
  15. Tractor Plower

Tractor Plower Senior Member

Great looking trucks, Greensway. i love the new SDs. my dad's new '08 F-450 just came in so we'll be picking it up this week. how do you like the 6.4? it seems i'll be looking forward to everything but the milage!
    Good luck with your new trucks, all the best and can't wait to see them with plows!
  16. pelt35

pelt35 Senior Member

new ford

go to blueovalforums.com and get a pin# and use the x-plan pricing from Ford, saves money and when you get a vin# from dealer the folks there can track your new vehicle. neat site I just got my 08 F-150 with a x-plan pin# and save big bucks. also if you have a vin from a truck on the lot they can tell you the exact cost to you..
  17. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Carpet Delete

I was told that the FX4 couldn't have the carpets deleted. We ordered the XLT because of this reason. Carpets become way too nasty in this type of work with salt, garbage residue, and grass.
  18. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Pristine, I think you're right about the carpets but the FX4 includes full size all-weather rubber mats that go over the carpets. They cover 90% of the carpeting. I had the same concern but I took a look at the all-weather mats and was satisfied.
  19. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I have found that salt and carpets don't seem to mix that well, even if 90% is covered, i really like the plastic floor.
  20. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I covered mine with towels, extreme duty floor mats and there still was salt in places. I wish I would have got the rubber flooring AND the 4x4 shifter on the floor, I was told they didnt make them like that any more......wrong!