1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

08 Super Duty Power Brakes and Steering

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Grandad, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Grandad

Grandad Junior Member

Any one have any problems with there Power brakes and power steering going out all the time ? one second they will work next they don't, some times both don't work at the same time other times it's one or the other.. It first happend coming off the freeway on a exit ramp I thought I was going to die got to the top of the ramp and every thing came back. Its at the dealer now .

2. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Maybe serp belt. I've had the tension idler pulleys go bad in an 08 and 09 truck, when they go bad they chew the belt up and eventually virtually no power brakes or steering.

3. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Maybe check your vaccum pump. It boosts both power steering and brakes.

4. Grandad

Grandad Junior Member

From what am understanding is the power steering pump supplys the vaccum. But am thinking it has to do with vaccum and not the power brake booster witch supplys both the power brakes and the power steering. I guess the brake booster is just 2 valves, I have a hard time Believing that both valves are malfutioning, But I guess its possable. I have had more problems then I can shake a stick at with this truck.

5. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I had an 08 that was the same problem nothing but stuff breaking all the time so I sold it

6. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Diesel or gas?

7. Grandad

Grandad Junior Member

Diesel and the dealer ship can't figure it out , they can't get the truck to do it again but am sure it will when I pick it up.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You have a vacuum pump to supply vacuum to the engine and brakes. A diesel does not make enough vacuum to operate the brake booster. I would think the steering pump or vacuum pump is screwing up and causing one or both to dysfunction. Maybe the tensioner is also screwing up, letting the belt slip and not grip. Not having enough belt speed would be a real problem. Coming off a highway ramp the engine is pretty much at an idle. I would think any drag would slow the belt speed right down. I have had the vacuum pump fail on an ambulance. It feels like you have no brakes.Major pucker factor! OH SHOOT!
    You have to STAND ON THEM to get it to stop. My 6.0 PSD Ambulance with 131K is an 08. It's sad they have so many problems at such a young age! I want a 7.3 PSD back!

9. Grandad

Grandad Junior Member

Well its offical the dealer has NO idea and just wants to start replacing parts at my expence, Nice

10. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Get another dealer. Their service department is just pathetic.

11. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Double post.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  12. Grandad

Grandad Junior Member

To tell you the truth they are the best one in our state, Problem is the truck won't do it for them so its hard to figure out whats wrong when It won't act up, does it about once a month, then goes away. So thats why they say we can start with the Booster and if that doesn't work the Power steering pump, but next thing you know it will be $3000, its a $1000 just to start with the Booster.

13. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Ouch. I can tell you from experience that intermittents are a ***** to tackle.

14. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Have had the same problems a few times in our shop. With 6.4

15. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Got to love intermittent problems! Till it fails or throws a code your just throwing parts at it. My Wife always gets the add on warranty. She makes out on repairs. She gets 3-4 times worth out of it over what She paid. I noticed the Ford dealers will just throw parts at a problem. Wiper motor dies, they replace the stalk switch, the motor and the delay box.