1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'08 Sierra Headlight Harness Question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by RathTR, Nov 20, 2012.

1. RathTR

RathTR Junior Member

OK, I am a newby, so be gentle. I'm installing an ultra mount on my 1500 crew cab and I have a question on the headlight harness. The wires for the park/turn have barrel connectors on them. There is no mention of this in the install instructions. Where do they go? It looks like they should just plug in to something. Not sure what that "something" is and I'd rather not splice them in if I can help it. Thanks for any help!!!

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The barrel connectors are unusual? Is this a brand new plow? If it's used the previous owner put them on. There should be two wires at one headlight and one loose wire at the other side. Of course you need to tie in to both the right and left turn signals, explaining two wires, and you have to tie into the park wire on one side or the other but not both, explaining the third wire. They are usually marked right on the wires. I would cut the barrel connectors off as they are not sealed and can cause trouble. I cut into the park and signal wires just a few inches back from the socket and use bare metal butt connectors and then seal them with heat shrink.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The barrels are there intended to be used with the barrel style quick splices you hack into the trucks marker/turn circuits. Don't do that.

Instead, cut the barrel connectors off and properly connect and seal the connections. Either solder and heat shrink or the good adhesive lined crimp connectors.