1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'08 RT3 Superduty Plow just quit..

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by viniferaguru, Jan 5, 2016.

1. viniferaguru

viniferaguru Junior Member

:confused:So I need some input from you guys (and girls, maybe). One of my goons was running errands yesterday for me and the plow just quit (not plowing, just driving)
    -I had him swap for a new solenoid- nope.
    I came down and battery cable "tested" the pump motor - it's good(running)

-The connections at the tower are clean.. both cables

Then I noticed there is no lights on the in cab controller (doesn't light up when switched - on)

No plow headlights / power to tower
    "smarthitch" toggle on plow won't activate..

I really suspect some kind of wiring/ ground fault.. anyone with input on this?

2. johnnywaz

johnnywaz Senior Member

Did you check the fuses?

3. viniferaguru

fuses are all good. I am really stumped by this one.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Where does the controller get it's power from?
    Accy fuse under dash?

5. az landscaping

az landscaping Member
    from mass

Check your relay fuses under the hood i believe there are 5 square ones all together.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Is there power up to where the controller plugs into the controller?

7. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Sounds like either the controller called it quits (happened to me out of nowhere during a storm) or the controller is not getting power (also happened to me from bad install job on old truck).

Like grandview said, start with if you're getting power at the controller connection.

8. viniferaguru

thanks for all the ideas guys - here's where I'm at -

The "keyed ignition" wire (black/maroon) with inline fuse is good - this wire appears to run out to the block of relays
    Does this relay then run back into the truck to power the handheld controller?

The inline fuses at the solenoid are good .. (brand new solenoid BTW)...
    The ground at the solenoid is good...

I feel like it is either the controller / or the relay brick (under the hood with like 6 blocks) / or a faulty ground...
    I have the "newer" paddle style controller with the rubber touch pads .. is there any way to hotwire the controller to see if it is good?

this one is really bugging the **** out of me.. rrrrrrrrr

9. viniferaguru

anyone know which color wire provides the power to the "post" side that plugs into the controller?

10. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Yes the the blk/red wire from the ign source goes back out to the relays, It does power up the controller. All the relays are the same if you want to swap them around to see if it isn't switching over.
    How are you checking the fuses?
    Double check them with a volt meter.
    If you still are having issues you can give me a call at the shop in the morning if you like.
    :rolleyes: John...

11. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Wiring diagrams are on BOSS' website

12. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I was scratching my head for awhile cause I thought all my fuses "looked good" until I changed them out one by one and that one fuse under the hood it's a single wire think it's either red or brown coming from the battery was bad but looked good.

13. viniferaguru

:mechanic:EUREKA!! Turns out it was the first relay fuse in the block - the contacts inside of the fuse housing and the spades where seriously corroded.
    A huge thanks to all that replied with their suggestions. A special thanks to Garagekeeper for offering to help me via phone. This is the type of scenario that makes the internet and Americans great. Can't thank everyone enough - If you're ever in Cincinnati Ohio, I owe you a beer or two..

Awesome- thanksussmileyflag:D

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  14. johnnywaz

johnnywaz Senior Member

Just an FYI if you have other equipment, that relay is the most common one used on just about any vehicle or piece of construction equipment that uses relays. Even my boat uses them. I keep a spare one/two in most everything thing I own. There are some rare varrients but that one is most common.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016