1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

08 ram 1500

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by WS&A, Nov 24, 2008.

1. WS&A

WS&A Junior Member

Newbie, looking to sub-contract. Just got an 08 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4.7 V8 Auto 20 inch tires, can anyone recommend a plow setup? Any other advice would help. St. Clair Shores, Mi.

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

A 7.5' Boss would work good for your truck.

3. TEX

TEX Senior Member

dont:gunsfiring: but the truck is 4X4 right?

a nice 7.5' fisher would be greatussmileyflagtymusic

4. WS&A

WS&A Junior Member

Thank You.

5. WS&A

WS&A Junior Member

Yup...4X4. Thank You.

6. lucky13rme

lucky13rme Member

Once you mount that plow say bye bye to your warranty, as Dodge doesn't allow plows on any 1500, last I knew. If you do get a set of timbrens and the lighter the plow the better.

7. WS&A

WS&A Junior Member

Thanks for the info. I checked with the service manager at my dealer (Meade Dodge), he said as long as I have the tow pkg. on my truck and the plow is properly installed the full warranty stays in effect. I'll ask around some more just to be sure.

8. nekos

nekos Senior Member

get it in writing ...

another option is to trade the truck in on a 2500. it sounds like your planning on doing commercial work ?

1. a lot of bigger snow removal companies wont even talk to you with a 1500
    2. you will beat the hell out of that truck and one break down can costs you $1000's in lost pay.

9. ransom1

ransom1 Junior Member
    from PA

My dealers Chevy, Ford and Dodge ALL told me that if you dont get the plow prep package on the truck you will void the warrenty by putting on a plow.

10. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

I have a 05 dodge ram ex cab 1500 4x4 and putting a 7.5 snow dogg on it. the weight is 460 lbs. the weastern i wanted to put on it was 100 lbs more so i choose the lighter plow because it is only a 1500. Im going to mainlydo my driveway and a small lot at work and a few other drives thats it . I too have the 20s on it and a few on here told me the 20s will suck plowing snow that i should get some 17 inch tires on it

11. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

when I was looking at trucks my chevy dealer said that they would remove the plow if a warranty issue came up and GM audited the warranty claim. They also knew that I only had the suburbanite and have the same plow on some colorado's. I spoke with a dodge dealer and they flat out told me that a plow on a 1500 would void the warranty!!

12. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

its says right in the dodge owners manual not to put a plow on the 1500 I figure that i will just take the plow and all hardwear off if i need repair that is going to be covered under the warrenty it really does not cover all that much anyways I have 56000 miles on the truck right now doyou really think they could tell you was plowing with the truck if nothing is on it when you take it in for repairs

13. andyman5001

andyman5001 Member
    from NE Ohio

i have a 2007 Ram 1500 with the 4.7 V8. I went with the Snow Dogg MD because of the weight issue. Its the lightest one I could find. The plow weighs only 400# + like 60# for the mounting brackets. I did put Timbrens on the Front so it wouldn't sag so much. You will be fine with this plow for small commercial lots or residential.

14. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

thanks is the size of your plow 7.5

15. andyman5001

andyman5001 Member
    from NE Ohio

Yeah, 7.5'. I forgot to mention my wheels are only 18" not 20" like yours.

plow copy 3.jpg

16. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

nice looking set up. i should have mine installed next week. i will post a pic. have you got to use it much yet?

17. andyman5001

andyman5001 Member
    from NE Ohio

Yeah, I have made my rounds 7 times already. I had mine installed on the 13th and it snowed on the 18th. i work in the secondary snowbelt and we have had a few little storms of 4-5" already. The last one was a very wet and heavy snow. I was worried that the 4.7 V8 was underpowered, but it pushed it just fine. I really like the plow so far. The trip action is good and the angle speed is fast. I got mine at Carnegie Body near Cleveland for $3250 + tax installed.

18. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

I guess i should went up to cleveland. sandusky here. im paying 3800.00 installed

19. andyman5001

andyman5001 Member
    from NE Ohio

$3800 just for the plow? or with Timbrens also? My plow was 3250, then I got Timbrens installed on front AND rear, plus tax = $4043 total.

One other thing. The mounting plates are a little low. Have your installation guys cut off any excess to give you more ground clearance.

plow bracket.jpg

20. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

compleat install of plow is 3800.00 no metion of anything extra i will say something to him about cutting off extra at bottom of mount he has not installed any as of yet but i know mine will be the second one he does so he can learn on the first he has been installiing weastern plows for years he just picked up the snow dogg line