1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

08 IHC 7400

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by FredG, Oct 8, 2016.

1. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

This truck is in need of some repairs, Intake turbine nut in fresh air turbine, Turbo shaft has excessive play. DOC and DPF are oil soaked, Maxx force DT466.

If to purchase how much work and is it worth it, Or should I pass, No one has bid so far. Has allison auto, Never had one in a big truck and are they reliable. 74K miles. Hard to find a 6 wheel in the 7400, 4700 and 4900 are all over.

2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Any pics Fred. Haven't played much with those. The trans should be fine. A lot of money for those repairs. And that engine in a dandem is going to be a dog.

3. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Good enough I will keep looking. Thumbs Up

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That engine is one to stay away from. I wouldn't buy one no matter what the circumstances were.

5. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Maxx Force engines are in the Top 3 crappiest engines ever produced...It's neck and neck with The Cummins ISX...Total POS

6. Randall Ave

Now now, your gonna give Mooks a complex saying bad things about Cummins.

7. Defcon 5

ISX was a Big Truck engine...He has a baby Cummings...:jester:

8. Randall Ave

I just did injectors and an egr valve in an ISM. What problems did you have with your ISX? Besides fuel pumps, oil senders, EGR valves.

9. Defcon 5

EGRs....Turbos...The list is endless..One of the four only lasted 150k miles before it decided to put a rod through the block...That engine in 150k miles went through 6 EGRS and 3 Turbos

10. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

By these upper threads they must be junk, This one only has 74k miles.

11. Randall Ave

The dt466 was OK. Then Egr came around. Went down hill a little. But the Maxxforce engines not so hot. But all the newer larger bore diesels have there issues.

12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Cummins ISX are junk.

13. Defcon 5

Careful....JD Dave thinks they are the greatest...He will try to ban us here too

Mark Oomkes likes this.