1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'08 HD w/too much plow!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 91AK250, Oct 6, 2011.

1. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

ok, so had this truck come in today for some minor wiring issues after fixing them my boss asked me to hook it up to a 9'2" XT with wings that they had issues with and check it out. so i did so...i must say that poor chevy had way more plow then it could handle in its current state(w/timbrins)

the truck and plow as it came in w/the plow it runs
    [​IMG]

the 9'2" VXT w/wings i was working with. it was touching the ground when lifted in the vee position. had to put it in scoop to move it.
    [​IMG]

i like my job because i get to see how real work trucks act after being worked/ really used. i must say this truck was rode hard and put up wet with only 66k on it. far worse shape then my '91 f-250.

2. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

yea shes got a little weight, it must be nice to see how different trucks react with plows on them that arent recomended!

3. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Another Chevy basher.
    So you took a customers truck who has the correct plow on it and loaded it up with a brand new 9.2 w/wings for what reason?

To show how a truck not equipped to handle that weight can't? I hope the customer sees your post here to show the abuse you put on his truck.

If you have to continue to try to bang on Chevy that says something about your ford not Chevy. If your 91 is so tough why only run a 7.6 st blade on it?

BTW almost all company owned trucks that are true work trucks get beat up by employee's, and in this case also the people who are supposed to be working on them.

If there is a issue with that brand new plow is it not your fault? Not the poor sap who brings his truck in for service who never intended to have that size plow on it.

4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Don't be upset, they squat with 7'6" plows too.

silverado4.JPG

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

^^^^^And that trip edge plow weighs about as much as an 8'2 V ;)

6. plowguy43

Hey be quiet, this is a Chevy bashing thread. Join in or leave. I'll give you $14k for your truck RIGHT NOW!payup

7. t-sig

t-sig Senior Member
    from 607

Suspension is supposed to squat when weight is added. If you follow the weight recommendations on that little plate on your drivers door, you won't ever have an issue. Granted, things do wear out, but, the people that get in trouble are usually the ones that overload their vehicles. That Chevy in the pic above is likely not running an ounce of ballast.

8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

But see, what I don't get is the catch 22 with these debates. Sure, SFA's carry the weight better. We can all admit that (except Dodges when the stock springs start getting weak, especially the diesels). BUT, there's a price to pay for that so called "luxury". Front end parts wear 2-3 times faster. That is a fact. I mean, carrying the weight and squatting a little less going down the road is great, but where's the benefit? Every Ford or Dodge owner makes fun of some front end sag. My Fords and Dodges don't stack any higher than my GM's, and it's not as if the GM's bottom out anywhere or get stuck any more often. I know I will never win this debate, and am probably one of the only ones on this site that has a fleet of every brand of truck. That and I see more fleet and plow trucks than you can imagine.

9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

LMFAO you ass

10. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

My Diamond T in my avatar pic has a set of leafs up front about 8" thick. I bet that baby would carry a 7'6 trip edge with no problem ;)

11. plowguy43

I agree for the most part. All 3 will wear out front end parts plowing its what plowing does, which is why I think these debates are generally dumb ( I just like toss gas on the fire because I'm bored at work). In my own experience, stock for stock, I didn't like how low GM's would carry the plows. Entering some drives or parking lots the undercarriage of the plow would scrape (had this happen on a Fisher and the Boss pictured). They both didn't have Tbars cranked either.

In the end though, my next truck is probably going to be an 04-07 DMax CC/SB because I want a diesel, I want a full size crew cab, and I like the overall style of those trucks. I'm also considering the Fords of those years (well 05-07).

What, I can't make an honest offer? Your loss.

Just for comparison's sake, my 04 2500 had 80k Miles on stock shocks and springs carrying this 9'6" EZV (I think just about or over 900lbs

EZV6.JPG

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

..........WORD lol

13. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Sure the GM trucks might squat a little more than a ford or dodge (especially when you load them up with a plow not recommended for them), BUT- I'd much rather have a truck with a little squat to it that doesn't crap out it's tranny (cough cough... dodge).... or blow a head gasket (cough cough... ford) in the middle of a snowstorm...... and believe me- I've been the guy coming to the rescue with my trusty ol' '03 2500HD gasser when my buddies' 1) '05 powerjoke, and 2) '07 cummins decided to give up the ghost in the middle of our "Snowmaggeddon" last winter!:salute:

Just my $.02 ussmileyflag

14. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Isn't the issue more that this was a customer's truck with more weight on it than he/she planned on? I agree that the shop trusted to work on the truck shouldn't be overloading it without the vehicle owner's knowledge.

15. t-sig

t-sig Senior Member
    from 607

I particularly like the part where he says that he put the plow in the scoop position to get more height. Yeah, add a little more weight further out there on the front end.

16. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I have had all 3 of the big 3. ford was the most un-reliable I have ever owned in my life. Dodge I spent more on tranny repairs and front end parts then what the truck is probably worth(still have as back up). Chevy has never left me stranded nor had real bad front end issues.

When I got the 04 HD I currently have I spent a little before hand to prevent such problems. I could pick that 9' 2" with wings up now and not budge a inch down. This can be attested by Dissociative(George). I also carry a SP8500 Snow-Ex v-box with a 75 gal liquid tank and when both are filled the back may go down an inch or so.

There are some on the site tho that every chance they get try to belittle Chevy in some way,shape or form claiming theirs is better. That's what gets my goat. Is mine stock? No. But really if you run stock suspension to plow on any truck you can look for repairs sooner rather than later. That you can make bank on.

17. plowguy43

Dodge gassers haven't had tranny problems since 03 when they switched to an all electric (No bands) 545RFE. The 07 Cummins (if it were a 5.9 and not the 6.7) used the 48RE which can have problems but is very reliable, if not the most reliable tranny when BUILT. Dodge had tranny problems with the 46RH/RE (727 with overdrive) that ended in 02.

I'm sure everyone can come up with a "I helped Competitor Brand X when his truck crapped the bed".

Thats just it my friend. There is aftermarket parts out for most all of the big 3 trucks make them bulletproof. Its just if you want to spend the coin upfront to do it.

18. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

And spend I did. ussmileyflag

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=103324

19. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I stopped reading at post 6, but I didn't see anyone mention the lack of BALLAST!

20. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

..............and to add to the above few.......my F350 wouldn't carry nearly the weight it does with stock springs! Also, my 250 SD I just got will be getting an 810 soon.....that thing squats a ton now with no plow, it'll definately be nose diving with one. Looks like another leaf or 2 is in order. Than and count on u-joints and ball joints after the season!!