1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

08 gmc 2500 strobe light headlight location?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by gemrock, Nov 15, 2008.

1. gemrock

gemrock Junior Member

What is the best location for the strobes? Headlight or Blinker location?
    I was told the headlight might be blocked by the bulb and interfer?
    I bought a used Whelen unit and it has a violet wire looped back to it self any idea what this is for? Also If I mount the strobes in the headlight locations does it reflect off the plow or not a big deal. THanks ussmileyflag

2. gemrock

gemrock Junior Member

well im going to drill into the side of my high beam for the front strobes. does anyone have any thing to say about that pros or cons would be nice.
    thanks

3. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

personally i would not drill the new head lights i would go with a set of lin3,4,6 in the grill

4. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

example

lin 3 in grill
    [​IMG]

violet is high power

5. caddytruck89

caddytruck89 Senior Member

Violet is LOW power. Just put them in my head lights and tail lights last night. The headlights are double walled. First hole needs to be larger than the strobe base it self.

6. gemrock

gemrock Junior Member

do you put the violet wire on a switch also. Also did you drill in the low or high beam. I figured the high beam just in case it does block some light i'd rather have it in the high rather the low. ?

7. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Check out the following link.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=63612

As you'll see, I put mine in the blinker. You don't have to remove the headlight assembly this way. Just a note, the chevy has a different light setup in the front compared to the GMC, so that pic isn't the same as the original poster's vehicle.

8. gemrock

gemrock Junior Member

Oh trust me I searched this forum till 11 30 last night and decided to wait till this morning to do the final drilling. I saw your link a few times and was going to drilll there in fact i did the outer hole and realized it was too low so I caulked the hole and decided to pull the front bumper trim and pull the lights. I figured the light had more air space for heat and maybe reflect better from there. How is the reflect from the blinker? If the store wasn't 2 hours away I would of bought 2 flashers for the grill instead of drilling the headlights out. I'm sure they're not cheap.

9. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

i did my headlights and regret it. We couldn't get all the dust out, so now they are somewhat dull compared to new lights. I wish I had gone w/ ones in my grille instead.

10. gemrock

gemrock Junior Member

That would suck to have dull headlighs. I was just lookin at the blinker area what if you were to remove the top bulb and use tha hole and remove the top bulb. It fits perfect and your just losing a blinker bulb you still have another one below it? Any thought towards that?

11. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I am very happy with the light output/reflection from the blinker spot. In fact, mine are drilled to the outside hole only, so they don't stick into the light quite as far as they should and they are STILL plenty bright. I should at some point, drill a larger hole on the outer ring and install them correctly, but I'm happy with them so I haven't bothered yet.