1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

08 Ford with a Boss

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by to_buy, Oct 14, 2007.

1. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

I have a new fleet of 15 Fords with BOSS plows and have a problem with the headlights and the plow lights. You need to have the High beams on before turning the plow lights on or you will throw the Body Control Module into a head spin.
    If the plow lights are turned on when the low beams are on the computer see a short (because it is monitoring amps ) and shuts the system down and then you need to have the computer re flashed.
    Anyone see this problem? Ford Has a TSB which says there is no know way to solve the problem.
    Any help Thanks
  2. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

I remember when Dodge released the redesigned Ram in 2003, they had similar problems because the Body Control Module (BCM) monitored the all the lamps. If a lamp burned out, the BCM would set a "Lamp Out" indicator on the dash. When I had a Blizzard 810 installed on my 2004 Ram 3500, I'd get this "Lamp Out" indicator everytime I hit the switch to change from truck lights to plow lights. The only solution I found (at the time) was to turn the vehicle headlight switch "Off", then back "On". I never had to reflash the BCM, but I guess thats a Ford thing. I only reference the Blizzard issue because they and Boss use a similar set-up to switch power from the trucks headlights over to the plow lights (i.e. a set of Bosch type relays).

3. Tuxx

Tuxx Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

I heard early on that Ford left it up to the Plow Makers to fix the problem,I have a 08 f250 with a Western and had to take it back to the installer when the updated ford plow modules came in.Fords fix was no lights or high beam only.I also heard that Meyer was not going to do a fix,I have not heard if they changed their minds or not.
  4. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Yes Ford had issued a service bulletin back in April in reguards to your problem. The bulletin number is Q-155-R1 You may want to also check with the plow installer and make sure they used the updated headlight adapters that were designed to take the load off the Smart Power Dist Junction Box.
    :rolleyes: John...
  5. Tuxx

Tuxx Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

This is a update to what I wrote in the other post,08 trucks built before 4-18-08 will have to be reprogrammed by Ford,Trucks after 4-18-07 will have an updated SPDJB and will not be affected by the addition of plow lights.Western &Fisher have a updated power module that works in place of the Ford fix,The attached PDF is from Boss Tech Support service bulletin SV72

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  6. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Very very good info Mr Tuxx. Does anyone know if the build date is on the sticker??
  7. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Thanks Tuxx.
  8. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the service bulletins on the Boss. Sorry but I still like Western better. Have a great Winter and make tons of cash. Richard Tobias