1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

08 ford f250grill cover

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by greggwim, Oct 30, 2008.

1. greggwim

greggwim Junior Member

Hello i have a question i have the 6.4 that came with winter grill cover. I am thinking about installing it for plowing but was wondering if it will cause it to over heat thank you for any of the info thanks
    gregg

2. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

It may if you drive at high speeds with the plow up. Angling the plow helps. You can always just try it out and if you find that the truck is running too hot, just take off the grill cover.

3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

You need to use it on a late model Ford diesel or you will keep getting the "check air filter" light, from snow getting into the air filter sensor. My bosses Fords had problems like this until we installed the Grille covers no problems now. No overheating either.

4. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

where do you get these covers. i want one for my truck its takes forever to make heat now and ive been using the block heater

5. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

You alright bro? You are using your engine block heater now? You crazy???? Youre not getting heat because you probably have a problem with your A/C system. Start with the thermostat. I have the same engine bro and I get heat in no time. We do live in the same area. I have never ever plugged my 6.0L in, ever. You might want to get that looked at.

6. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Gregg, you dont need a grille cover on that truck. Not to mention the truck has an electric heater to provide you with instant heat the minute you turn the truck on. That engine needs to breath.

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Hopefully your talking about the intake cover to keep snow out. I have not driven any year Powerstroke that had poor heat. The new 6.4 will run you out on high blower. The older ones take a few miles to warm up, but they too have good heat.

8. ColliganLands

my truck just came back from the dealer with almost 12k in new parts so theres nothing wrong with it. other than i need new batteries. thats the main reason i use the block heater or else it would never start becasue the batteries are pretty much gone.
    so i guess no cover and once i get the batteries fixed it will be warm.
    it warms up in 5 -10 minutes but its been cold lately .

9. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

You put $12,000 in an 05????????? You buy a new engine, new tranny, some ball joints and some brakes?>?>>>

10. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

My friend, $12K in parts doesnt mean there is nothing else wrong with it. My guess is, if you had to put $12k into a 2005 truck there are more problems.
    Once you get the batteries fixed, that will have absolutely nothing to do with your heat. I would guess you need a thermostat or perhaps your system is low on Freon

11. ColliganLands

turbo,collingsystem(radiator cap, overflow bottle, waterpump, dyes etc),rearmain seal,keyless pad, brakes, rear brake caliper, egr valve. plus all the assorted fluids and cleaner used by the dealer.
    luckily it was all warranty so i paid 100 bucks.
    they siad it needs new batteries i just cant afford them yet.
    i bought the truck about 1 month before all this happened and the dealer said it was all good guess not. do not buy trucks or anything from planet in franklin basically.
    so i use my block heater to help start it in the coldish mornings becasue if i dont it doesnt start(****** batteries)

12. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

The block heater wont really help it start though. It will make it warm up faster. It doesnt really help with starting.

13. ColliganLands

well it wamrs it up. they told me to do this untill i get new batteries sao i do it. becuase if i cycle the glow plugs too much or have anything on when i try to start(radio/headlights/etc) it wont start. so batteries will be bought very soon.

14. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Yea make sure you get big ones. 1000CCA if you can. I dont have any of those problems with my 04.....knock on wood. It does take a few CCA's to turn the motor, but your problem is beyond that. Did they test your glow plus relay? Sounds like you might have a couple of dead glow plugs. Like I said, I have NEVER had to plug mine in....

15. ColliganLands

i dont know they went throught the entire truck front to back and fixed everyhting they found. my dad is the shop foreman at the jeep store for the same dealer so they take care of us. im planning to get big optima batteries or something comprable if i cant get the optimas. usually with the block heater i only have the let the glow plugs go once but sometimes without it takes two or three times then its take forever to turn over becasue the batteries are shot.
    i would hope that after they had my truck 6 days nothing else would be wrong but you could be right.

16. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Naw man I have a real bad feeling about your truck. I am usually right on the money when it comes to diagnosing things. I would bet some good money that you have a problem with your A/C system, and your Glow plug system.......I would put some decent money down.......

17. ColliganLands

ill look into it. but hopefully your wrong for my wallets sake

18. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I thought you just said the truck is still under warranty? If you want me to have my mechanic look at it I can arrange that. He will know in the matter of a phone call, what the problem is.

19. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

what that got to do with the heat?

20. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Where do you think your heat comes from?