1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

08 Fisher V plow dim lights

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by bergeros, Dec 6, 2009.

1. bergeros

bergeros Junior Member

Hi all, 08 3500 GMC dually, hooked to it's new 8'6" V plow. Plugged everything in and the low beams are very dim, like daytime running light dim, but it's all plug and play. High beams are great and bright. Any thoughts? Thanks:help:

2. Check for a bad ground or other connections

I will check all connections for low beam. Some time a bad connection not letting enought power thur. So far I been finding a bad ground. Due to poeple thinks metal to metal is a good ground. Not all the time.
    May need to run a ground wire from the ground on the battery. For a good ground. Just repeating what the repair shop told me.

3. BSM Exhaust

BSM Exhaust Member

Check the plow electrical connection plugs and make sure thet are clean not corroded and the prongs inside are not bent or broken in anyway. Its good to use dielectric grease in the connectors too!

4. BSM Exhaust

BSM Exhaust Member

Also check the headlight wires and the bulb holders. Look for broken or chaffed wires and also corrosion due to moisture in the headlight bucket.

5. bergeros

bergeros Junior Member

one more thing...

first thanks for the replies, I'll add one more thing. The plow and truck are both brand new, and the use of the Fisher isolation module and plug and play technology is in use. Both the low beams are affected. I just checked with a meter and found 12.48 volts on the high and low beam wire. When I assembled everything I did use the dielectric grease, big fan. I was wondering if anyone knew a problem from Fisher or a known ground issue on the 08 GM vehicles.

Thanks again... will await your posts.ussmileyflag

6. JayJay

JayJay Junior Member
    from ohio

I am having the same problem.What color label is your isolation module it could be the wrong iso mod

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You have one or more of the headlamp connectors plugged in reversed. If you note on the connectors there's an "A" and a "B" side and they can be connected either way, but only one way is correct for the lights to function. :nod:

8. bergeros

bergeros Junior Member

B&b

I plugged the A to the A and the B to the B.... should I try reversing them thinking Fisher made the wrong connection/labeling?

Jay Jay, I'll have to take a look at the iso module. I will get back to you tomorrow. Sorry your having the same problem....however misery loves company. :dizzy:

9. BSM Exhaust

BSM Exhaust Member

Can you bring it back to the dealer who installed it?

10. bergeros

bergeros Junior Member

Bsm

I can bring it back to the dealer I bought it from... I installed it. I am VERY handy and can do anything when it comes to mechanical electrical etc. I just find it odd that I follow...yes even read the instructions to a "T" and have this issue. I think it is a Fisher issue...so yes I need to contact the dealer. I thought in the meantime I would see if anyone had the issue in the past and found a resolution.... maybe I had a "blond" moment. :laughing:

So, once I figure it out, I will post, so the next poor sap that does all the work themselves as I have, will atleast know hoe to fix their or Fisher's wrong. wesport

Thoughts?

11. JayJay

JayJay Junior Member
    from ohio

Call dealer today and they told me to swap the to positive wires(low & hi beam wires) in plow headlamps. I did the to my and it worked just fine. Do you have a 3 or 4 port iso mod? Did your wire kit come with the 2 relay pigtail? If not i can get you the part # . Hope this was some help I plowed all last season with dim low beams or with the hi beams on.

12. bergeros

bergeros Junior Member

Jay Jay, I have a three port Iso mod green label. When I tested in the headlamps I found power on the common and found that odd. Do you recall if you cut the low and common wire and reconnected? I called my dealer and they just said to try replugging into the iso mod, but that did nothing for me. Thanks for the info, let me know what wires you moved if you can.

Thanks!!

13. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

That's what B&B was telling you, you need to reverse them, keeping them the same from passanger side to drivers side.

14. bergeros

bergeros Junior Member

I have a three port iso mod. I tried switching the wires around A B C, but that did not work. I did find the B is the right side and the C is the left side of the lights, and A handles the disconnect etc. Jay Jaay correct me if I am wrong, but I understand your post to be the following. Cut the wires in the headlight itself for the high and low and reconnect them. Correct? Talked to the dealer....not much help...they are backed up for 3 weeks and can not squeeze me in. Urgh!!

15. RepoMan207

from Maine

What "C", There is no "C".?.?.?

16. JayJay

JayJay Junior Member
    from ohio

First Don't Cut any wires. Do you have the in line adapter kit part # 28027-2? It should be plugged in ios port A it has 2 automotive type relays. If you do try removing the 2 wires from the socket that is plugged into the plow lights w/ a small screwdriver and switch them. Hope this helps JJ

17. RepoMan207

from Maine

:rolleyes: :dizzy: :confused:

18. bergeros

bergeros Junior Member

Got it!!!

First, I want to thank everyone for the posts.... way more helpful than the dealer.

Second, the issue with the dim lights on low was the common or ground wire. When connecting the Fisher wiring to the GM wiring, at the headlights, there is two ways it can be connected. I had to unplug and turn the plug around 180 degrees to reconnect. My common or ground was not lined up with the GM ground. I had the dumb luck of doing it to both sides.... so be aware there is no slotted connector for only one way to plug things in.

I am only posting this so the next lucky guy or gal that decides to install there own plow and find the same fun I had or Jay Jay, will know now how to fix it.

Happy Plowing!!!wesport

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks for posting how you fixed it. Things were getting ugly fast LOL

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Despite the fact the the solution was provided in post #7.

Good to hear you're up and running. :salute: