1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

08 f350 dying issue (w/ and w/o plow) any ideas??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by creativedezign, Feb 12, 2011.

1. creativedezign

creativedezign Junior Member

The past 4 days my 08 f350 has been at the ford dealer 'getting fixed' but all they have done is blame the issue on my hid headlights and remote starter... I had them put a new alternator in 4 days ago but my truck is still dying when I plow and making my hids flicker because of low power when the truck is running but when the truck is off and the lights are running off the battery the hids are bright and not flickering... Any ideas what the problem could be?

2. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

OK, simple first. Install the OEM headlights and disconnect the power feeds to the remote start and run the truck. If OK then activate the remote starter. If it is still OK reinstall the lights. Process of elimination.

3. damian

damian Senior Member

after that,i suspect you draw more than you charge like almost all f series without dual alternator option.you will end up getting a good high output alt like an american armature unit, not a hopped up standard version.also check plow current draw you may have bad pump motor.how is your plow habits,do you plow and lift back forth etc. do you let the snow bank lift the plow and then "follow" it up with the hydraulics or just lift it all the time,do you lift it to the limit even though your just backing up,do you steer the pile your pushing with the angle,all this costs a large current flow- over 160amps each operation loaded.

4. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

Definitely disconnect the HID and the remote starter (unplug the brain and place it on the seat that way the stealership cannot blame it as the problem). Is this a single battery system? In any case your alternator is going to be way too small for what you are asking the vehicle to do for you. Ohio Generator is a high end purpose built manufacturer of alternators that will do the job for you. If you go this route, you may also want to add a second battery at the same time (replace the stock one at the same time as you do not want two different batteries in the vehicle unless they are 100% isolated from each other). DO NOT just add a second battery to your stock alternator, it is only going to make the problem worse.