1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

08' F350 6.4 Heating and Cooling Question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Mid-Ohio Scaper, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

On my 08' I've got the heating and cooling system that tells me the outside temp. So when I put my plow on and drive around the outside temp indicator starts getting warmer and warmer and the heat coming out of the vents gets colder and colder. Take the plow off and all is well again. I'm thinking the plow is blocking some outside air flow to the sensor, anyone else have this problem?

2. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

my dodge also has the outside temp and when the plow is on it goes up alot warmer than it really is. it was like 19 degrees outside and the thing said like 47. once the plows off its fine. i dont have the heat issue though so i can't really help you out there.:salute:

3. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Not sure what they do, but there is a TSB out for this:

LACK OF HEAT WHEN - SNOWPLOW AND/OR WINTER GRILL COVER - EATC EQUIPPED VEHICLES ONLY
    TSB 08-14-4

4. Mid-Ohio Scaper

I talked with my diesel mechanic today and my girl's scheduled to go in Monday evening to address the issue. Thanks for telling me about the TSB, it helped when talking to my mechanic.

5. PRAM

PRAM Member
    from toronto

I have the same issue on my 08 350?
    I am going to check for a ground wire fault or I was told the connection cold be a sensor issue?
    If you find out let me know.

6. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Take it in to the dealer, it's covered under warranty. All they have to do is order a temp sensor relocator kit and relocate the sensor. It's the result of either a snow plow or a grill cover cutting off the air flow. Not a big deal. Thank God!:salute:

7. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

There's a fix?? I've been putting up with that for years, I've seen the outside temp go over 100 driving down the road, sucks....

I could tell it was a sensor issue, if you dropped the plow a couple of inches all was better.

8. Smith2287

Smith2287 Member

I have this problem with both my dodges when I drive on a highway with the plow on it can get all the way up to the 80's and when plowing he says it around 45 outside. I am looking to pick up a new ford real soon so I will inform them of this before I buy of the truck.

9. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Don't forget to add the snowplow prep package to your new Ford. Are you getting the 6.4?

10. Smith2287

Smith2287 Member

Yes I found an 08 350 withe the 6.4 fully loaded. It has snow plow prep and pretty much everything else also. I am just waiting for the guy to call me back with the new price since its a left over so to speak. I'm a dodge guy but the new cummins seems to ne having way to many problems so I'm converting to ford.

11. Mid-Ohio Scaper

I know, that sucks because Cummins is king! But the 6.4 has been great to me, I work that motor very hard and I can't complain! I will say I'm scared of any repair bills after warranty is up with having to take the whole cab off to work on it and all of the non reusable parts you have to replace every time you remove the cab. I rolled the dice when I bought mine in hopes that Ford and Navistar really want to right the wrongs of the 6.0 debacle and not shoot themselves in the foot.

BTW, when you get the new beauty throw some pics up!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  12. Smith2287

Smith2287 Member

Sure will I have to hope this guy does not try to screw with me or I will just get the dodge. The cab of the truck is beautiful with the lariat trim, and much more room than the dodge. I only snow plow so this truck will be driven in the summer so that is why i want the 4 door even though its a pain to plow with. I will keep you guys informed when I ge the call tomorrow.

13. PRAM

PRAM Member
    from toronto

Thks for the sensore relocate tip.

BTW I dont have the plow prep pkge?

14. Mid-Ohio Scaper

I'm pretty sure you've voided your warranty by putting a plow on without the prep package.
    I would do some checking on that if I were you just to be sure.

15. PRAM

PRAM Member
    from toronto

I checked with dealership before installing plow.
    The plow prep on this truck is just a fan clutch to prevent reverse rotation of fan.

16. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Have you ever personally looked to see what a plow prep package is? Because I myself don't trust what dealers tell me. From what I've read online it's a bit more than a fan clutch.
    It also involves suspension and the alternator if not running a diesel.
    But if I were you I'd check around before taking your dealers word for it.
    Also, when I did my "ematch" through Fisher for my plow they also require you to have a plow prep package.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  17. PRAM

PRAM Member
    from toronto

Good Point.....dealers will say what they need to!
    I am running diesel (have heavy front axle and dual batteries etc).

My ematch called for plow prep as well....and did for all plows....?

On my truck the plow prep is just a fan clutch...albeit thats not to be taken for granted.

18. PRAM

PRAM Member
    from toronto

I had truck in for oil and filter etc today....dealer has ordered the relocation kit yo mentioned to me...thank you so much!
    FYI they said my set up is fine for plowing and all parts etc covered by warranty and maintenance plan!
    Thanks again.

19. Mid-Ohio Scaper

No problem:salute:

20. daveklein1

daveklein1 Member

overheating

The outside temperture gauge is a great indicator of air flow through your radiator. When your plow is on it creates a vacumn and sucks the air backwards from the motor. You can move the sensor, but I would rather know how my system is working. We manufacture Plow flowmaster, it mounts on your plow, and captures the air from the top of the plow and sends it through the radiator. The great thing about Plow flowmaster is that it mounts on the plow, and no matter what truck you hook-up with, your covered. Check it out at www.plowflowmaster.com ussmileyflag

IMG_3074.jpg