1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

08' F350 4x4 Locking hubs stiff...

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Mid-Ohio Scaper, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

My push button auto 4x4 has stopped working forcing me to turn the hubs manually. My driver side hub is very stiff and requires pliers to turn it, unlike the passenger side which I can turn with my hand....

Any experience with this or Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. SMLCAT

SMLCAT Member

A couple of possibilities.
    Could be a vacuum line issue or a sensor...at least those were my problems.

3. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

the newer hubs do get stiff like that. My left hub has been like that for the past few years, havent had a problem with it other than its stiff.

4. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

My 07 had a stiff right side hub. It was just corrosion causing it to bind . The silver paint that is on the hub was starting to come off in the gap between the plastic hub (part you actually turn) and metal housing. If I kept it clean and sprayed the gap fluid film it would free up and spin easy like it should.

5. damian

damian Senior Member

if you cant move it with pliers or are tired of fighting them the only choice you have is to replace them with factory ford replacement hubs as there is no aftermarket units for 08 and up auto hubs, not even manual replacements. Some internet searches will take you down hopefull roads but as of now there is no aftermarket hubs for 08 and up.

6. sthoms3355

sthoms3355 Member
    from Detroit

Need a new hub. Ford's OEM hubs only last 5 years or so.

7. 03fordboss

03fordboss Member
    from Iowa

Same with my 09, little fluid film between the hub and housing and been good for 2 years now.

8. svc turf

svc turf Member

Take the hub out and grease it. Problem solved

9. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Senior Member

Fluid film or WD-40 will fix it I had the same problem before as well