1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

08 F250 questions

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by KingDuramax, Nov 15, 2010.

1. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

I am looking at a 08 F250 Powerstroke and have a few questions.
    1. How reliable is the 6.4 liter?
    2. What type of mileage do you get with it. Cruiseing and plowing.
    3. Anything I should look at that are concerns? The truck has 45000 miles on it.

2. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 2010 with 25000 miles. Highway I can get 16-18 mpg, Last snow fall 4+ of heavy wet snow got 7-8 I feel like I will get better with a light snow. I also get about 10-12 pulling a 14 ft dump trailer loaded or empty doesn't change. Personally I would look into a extended warranty not because its unreliable but the fact its a diesel and when something goes bad its not cheap.

3. KingDuramax

Thanks for the info.

4. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Bullchit. Not unless that DPF magically fell off somewhere or you are running an extremely conservative fuel economy tune. 14-16 is more on for highway.

OP, the 6.4L is proving itself to be a good engine that had a few issues the first year. Beware though, that she is packed under that hood extremely tight and that engine work out of warranty will cost out the ass because of the procedure just to get to the components.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  5. Bigfoot Brent

Bigfoot Brent Senior Member

Fuel economy is 12-14MPG at best from what I've seen.
    The 6.4 in my eyes is as bad as the 6.0, but with a second turbo and even more expensive to fix.

6. qualitycut

I got 17.4 the other day driving up north doing about 75 so that's what I got. It wasnt that good when I first bought it but since I have put the air damn on the bottom back on and it improved slightly.

7. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Are you hand calculating this or going off the lie-o-meter?

8. qualitycut

Both the one on the truck said 17.8 i calculated 17.4 What reason would I have to make this up anyway.

9. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

I'm not accusing you of anything, I've just never heard of a 6.4 doing that well going that fast. I know a couple guys who have them, and have talked to another and they all say they've never seen that kind of mileage out of them, hand calculated. Usually 10-12 city and 14-15 highway. It's their biggest ***** about the engine, that the diesel MPGs are gone.

10. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I have heard from a form mechanic that the cab needs to come off for work on the motor. The earlier versions seem to have issues. haven't heard to much about the later ones.

11. six4powerstroke

six4powerstroke Member
    from CHICAGO

i have over 70k miles on my 08 F350 SRW and carry a 8' 6" pro plus no problem and averaging around 12-13 plowing and 16-17 city but off course that's tuned with spartan and dpf removed.

12. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

A Buddy of mine put in a hyper chip or a bulldog chip one of those and he gets just about 18/20 on highway and 13/14 local and had his turbo realibrated ???? I think thats what he had done. I know he had a chip put in and sothin to do with the turbo system, I'll post more tommorow after I talk to him oh yah his is an 07 sduty250 POWERSTROKE

13. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

We have 2 6.4's. GREAT TRUCKS. I have owned 7.3's, 6.0's and 6.4's.. Also a few cummins. I will take a 6.4 over a 6.0 or even a 7.3 any day. Stock my Crew cab would do about 11-12 towing and 14-16 on the highway. After yanking the DPF out I get 12-14 towing and average about 17.5 on the highway. The best I have done was setting it at 70mph on a long trip I almost hit 20mpg. This is all hand calculated. Our regular cab DRANK the fuel plowing stock. After pulling the DPF it only uses about 2gph plowing large commercial lots. When out of warranty they will be a little pricey to have work done but a lot of the work is not near as bad as people make it out to be. Even lifting the cab is not bad for someone who has done it(about 4 hours).
    I would snag it up and remove the DPF.
    Sorry for the long post
    Robert

14. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

NOT A PROBLEM AT ALL prsportxysport xysport LET IT SNOW

15. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

07 is completely different. No emissions devices in place that actively affect economy.

16. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Okay, but you just spent 340 bucks plus tax before even having anything repaired assuming a rate of around 85, which is really on the lower end now.

17. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

i have an '08 job 1 6.4 and i have been at 11.8 mpg (city) for a while now, at least a month...the guy i bought it from was getting 14.4 because he mainly did highway...this is basically the truck's calculations, i did the calculations one time and got exactly what the truck was telling me so it seems to be pretty accurate and i don't care to do the calculations weekly...

i absolutely love my 6.4, haven't had any problems, but i also don't have much experience with other diesels...i hear nothing but great things about the 7.3 but those are also older trucks, and the 6.4 seems to have a good reputation...the only thing i can think of is you want to look at what "job" it is, and you can do that by looking inside the door panel, if it was made before 8/07 then it's a "job 1" and apparently those had a few more problems than the job 2 and job 3...like i said though, i have a job 1 and haven't had any issues

i have thought about pulling the dpf and putting a spartan tune on it but it has a 7 year 200,000 mile extended warranty (engine/drive train) so i'm a little reluctant to do that

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  18. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Not 100% sure but I think that some of the earlier problems (job 1) need the memory reflashed. I would think that this was done already

19. KingDuramax

Thanks for the info guys. I havent said no yet to it.

20. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Last year for the 6.0's was 2007, mine was dead nuts on, not one issue. But then again 3 times around is a charm...

If I was to get another 6.0 I'd have to find a 2007. My 2005, eeks, HPOP, what a mess, had to remove cab to fix.