1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

08 F250 ignition wire???

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Drottlawn, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

I need a ignition wire for my plow setup and was wondering who used what.
    I was thinking of using an upfitter switch, but can't find their wires either.
    Any Help?:confused:

2. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I hooked mine up to the radio fuse in the fuse box for my Western power wire.

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

drivers side fender theres a fuse box thats where i tapped mine into .its to the right of the batterty, that thing on top of it will flip out of your way use 1 of the opening on the left side,then cut out one of the tabs in bottom left of cover.

4. pcdrifter

pcdrifter Junior Member

upfitter switch wires

On my 08' f-350 6.4 the wires for the upfitter switches were a group of four wires taped together up under the dash on the driver side, behind the emergency brake. They had shrink tubing on the ends and the color pattern is in the owners manual. There are other wires under the same area with shrink tubing on so make sure the colors match.

5. the other posts cover possible power sources(i used a spare fuse in the in cab fuse panel that comes hot with the key, if you can fit a spade terminal on the acc side of the fuse you have a fused source as well) other note of interest is that ford has four pass through wires already in the firewall. Engine bay side is near drivers side inner fender wall blunt cut, the other ends are near the upfitter switch feed described above

6. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

Its easier to find something underhood or in the fuse box but if you need to go to the ignition wiring heres some info for you.
    Battery BLUE/RED (+) IGNITION SWITCH
    Ignition 1 WHITE/ORANGE (+) IGNITION SWITCH
    Accessory 1 VIOLET/GREEN (+) IGNITION SWITCH
    Accessory 2 BROWN/YELLOW (+) IGNITION SWITCH
    Starter 1 BLUE/WHITE (+) IGNITION SWITCH
    Anti-Theft Type FORD PATS® OR SECURILOCK® VEHICLE IMMOBILIZER
    Anti-Theft Descript THE KEY SENDS AN RF SIGNAL TO THE BCM MODULE THROUGH AN ANTENNA LOCATED AROUND THE IGNITION CYLINDER
    Key Sense BLUE/GRAY (+) STEERING COLUMN HARNESS
    Tachometer BLUE (AC) AT HARNESS NEXT TO BRAKE PEDAL
    Speed Sense YELLOW/BLUE (AC) AT ABS CONTROL MODULE ON DRIVER SIDE FIREWALL
    Parking Lights VIOLET/WHITE (+) DRIVERS KICKPANEL
    Brake Lights VIOLET/WHITE (+) BRAKE SWITCH
    Reverse Lights GREEN/BROWN (+) IN HARNESS IN DRIVER SILL PANEL
    Horn YELLOW/RED (-) STEERING COLUMN HARNESS

7. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

Thanks for the help guys! I guess I will be digging into the underhood fuse box since it is the easiest to get to or the upfitter switch.:waving:

8. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Drottlawn -

Under the dash, behind the diagnostic link connector, close to the wires for the upfitter switches and PTO loom, there is a small purple wire that will be hot in the run position of the ignition switch. It's a blunt cut wire that will handle up to 10 amps.

Just my .02¢

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  9. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

Even better, thanks I will look for it today.

10. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

I know this is an old post, but do you know where the fuse is located for this purple wire??

11. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Sorry, but I haven't been on here much and I didn't know you replied to the thread.

I'm sure you found it by now, but it's a 10 amp fuse located in the number 44 slot of the smart junction box.

12. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

Yes, i found it. thanks