1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

08 f250-350 help please

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by sweetk30, Nov 2, 2008.

1. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

my friend is looking at a new 08 250 or 350 and want plow on it. fisher is looking like the most popular on here from pics i have seen and also good close dealer for them with good service.

his question is : is there a plow prep he needs on the truck from dealer/factory like gm trucks have?

and he will also be running 8ft / 8ft 6in / or vblade. whats your best recomends for him. he will be doing his family driveways and few friends along with his family buissness lot with blacktop for 90% of it. and the work lot has fence areas and loading docks and so on.

he will be looking and wanting a 6.4 oil burner. so any info with this combo would be great. thanks.
  2. dmax08

dmax08 Senior Member

The 350 I seen the other day had a exteme v on it.. had all factory provisions.. however what a pain arse to install, have to take everything off the front to mount frames and as for the 6.4 dont look for any mpg.. they really like the fuel.
  3. 66 BADBOY

66 BADBOY Member

You can get the trucks with plow prep on them from the factory.

Gassers are just stiffer front springs.
    Diesels are stiffer front springs and a bigger alternator. (and I think a different type of fan)
  4. Chaos

Chaos Member

Yes, there is a snow plow prep package available for all ford superduty trucks. Adding a plow without this package automatically voids the warranty. For a mere 300$ it's worthy investment for snow plowers.
  5. PRAM

PRAM Member
    from toronto

The plow prep on a diesel f350 2008 is just a fan cluctch to prevent the coolong fan from counter rotation. My dealer has said no problem without it!
  6. KimKman

KimKman Junior Member
    from NH

My Snow Plow package on a 2008 F350 Diesel was a $85 option. Exactly what it is I only know from reading here.
  7. Case580M

Case580M Senior Member

exactly what I was just going to post. 85.00 and includes computer picked front springs and a super heavy duty alternator
  8. PRAM

PRAM Member
    from toronto

Unless you have the diesel engine where you have the heavy alternator and springs aleady.
  9. Case580M

Case580M Senior Member

Diesel std does not come with extra heavy duty alternator its a 75.00 option. The camper package if a dealer has one on lot is same front spring as the plow prep package.

There are also different GVWR packages with the diesel. the
    10,000lb one is the one you would want and not the std 9600.

The camper package or plow prep package is an upgrade even to the 10,000 lb gvwr package
  10. Bought an 08 superduty this spring and picked it up in september(don't ask) The plow package includes as previousily stated, stiffer springs(although my dealer said all 6.4 oil burners that are bigger then a reg cab(mine is a cab and a half) are 10000 gvw the axle rating is affected ie your 9600lb gvw reg cab has same axle capacity so to speak as the truck weighs less but i do not know for sure. Altenator is bumped from 140 to 200 amp and springs are upgraded in front only if they are not already selected ie camper big cab trucks already come with heavy springs. fan as mentioned above, salesman states it also comes on more frequently i dunno. The following is first hand info 1. installation is not to bad (i put on a western 9'6 mvp fisher from what i understand is identical to western model to model) Bumper, headlight bezels and airdam must be removed, airdam must be cut to suit or left off. All the wiring is plug and play(except for 3 splices left turn right turn and park lights) There are detailed threads about installation in this forum. If that sounds like a lot to you it probably is, if your wrench on your own equipment reguarily then this will not be a problem. 2 I have a 7'6 mvp on a 97 k2500 chev it works quite well and the truck is heavy enough to push it, it loses it manners when carrying though. The ford carries the blade excellently so a 8 foot will be a cake walk. 3 with the winter grill cover in(see posts about filter minder causing no run) i was worried about cooling did a 15 minute highway run with the blade fully up around 0 or -2 (38 ish for you us guys) and it never budged.
    4. Finally got to push snow last nite!! Couple a 350 hp 600 ftlb motor with a 10000lb truck(salter in) with low gear(long live standard transmissions) and you have created a snow pushing monster in two wheel drive, put it in four and watch out