1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

08 F150 Supercab with Boss 7'6" Sport Duty

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by capecodplow, Feb 4, 2015.

1. capecodplow

capecodplow Junior Member
    from MA

So I just added this plow to my F150. I thought I saw a tranny fluid leak last summer but with no current evidence of that I set out to push some snow last week. After about 20 minutes I could smell tranny fluid and put the truck away before I cooked the tranny. The shop says the seal is gone in the front of the transmission. Is the plow restricting airflow to the tranny cooler or is this more than likely a problem that previously existed? I wasn't overworking the truck but now I am concerned that I should be plowing with this truck at all. I see plenty of guys running around with a plow on the front of the same truck though. Thoughts? Thanks!
  2. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

yes it does restrict airflow to every cooling element located in the front of the truck. see if anybody makes a after market transmission cooler for your rig. i doubt that problem existed before plowing. if not buy a f250
  3. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I have plowed for quite a few years with an older F150. In fact it is a 99 F150. Never had a problem with cooling the transmission or cooling system. Nor did I add an aftermarket transmission cooler.
  4. capecodplow

capecodplow Junior Member
    from MA

I saw some fluid leak out of this quite a while ago in the area of the bell housing. I think this may have been an existing condition that got worse under pressure. Once it is fixed I am going to put a scan gauge on it and monitor the tranny temp.
  5. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

We have a 91, 03, and two 06s , the 03 and one 06 have plowed for years. Last year finally lost reverse in the 03 trans at 127k miles, its plowed since 45k miles, and we've always had either 7'6" or 8' boss Superduty plows "yeah heavier than you should have".

truck will be fine, unless its warm outside, or on highway driving fast, keep plow low to help more air go into the radiator might help.