1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

08 F-250 6.4 Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mg1826, Jan 26, 2012.

1. mg1826

mg1826 Member

I'm considering an 08 F-250 crew cab lariat that has the 6.4 diesel and was curious what you guys think of this truck? I'm a GMC guy looking to make the switch to the newer Ford's as I'm really not impressed with any of the newer Chevy/GMC's.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/2811243225.html

It also has LED hideway's and a remote starter. The plow is also an 08 with a fish stick controller, brand new cutting edge and new snow deflector. Any thoughts on the engine? Any major problems or concerns I should be aware of with this truck? Thanks in advance.

2. rstan2010

rstan2010 Member
    from Troy MI

The price seems pretty high for my area. Maybe around 32 with the plow.

3. tugboat609

tugboat609 Member

Price does seem high! I have an 2008 F350 crew cab long bed lariat with the 6.4 and I love it! Get rid of the dpf and cat and program it and its a beast with great fuel mileage to boot!!

4. snopushin ford

snopushin ford Senior Member
    from mass

I would talk to the guy and get the VIN, bring it to a dealer and ask for a OASIS report on the truck, it will show any warranty issues and service. I have owned a 08 supercab 250 and it was good, i tuned it. now i have a 08 250 crew cab lariat and love the room and comfort, it is tuned also. i put a boss 9'2" VXT on it and it handles it great. These motors run great when tuned.

5. mg1826

mg1826 Member

I went and saw the truck in person yesterday and it is in excellent condition. The tires are brand new and were put on last week along with new brake pads, an oil change and a new belt. There is also a warranty up 100K on this truck. The plow is an excellent condition also with a new cutting edge and is a MM2 8.6'. He has Whelen LED higeways all over it and LED hidden back up lights under the rear bumper. I didn't find any dings, dents or scratches and it doesn't look like anything has ever been in the bed. He should me a print out of all the maintenance which has been done at Stoneham Ford in MA. I didn't see anything other then regular service and a couple of factory warranty replacement items.
    I have him at 35K for the truck and plow package. Should I pull the trigger???

6. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

That doesn't sound too bad on a price. Do you know what the build date of the truck is? I wouldn't buy an 08 that was made early in production, they came out early 07 as a 08 model. I had a 08 F-250 that was made in December of 06 that was a total pile of crap as were alot of the early ones from what the dealer here told me...just a thought

7. mg1826

mg1826 Member

I'll find out what the build date is but the guy said it was a "3rd generation" engine? I'm still pretty green on the Ford's as I am making the change from 10 plus years of Chevy and GMC's.

8. I just got an 08 f450 for a little less then what he's asking but it had 64k on it. So far I love it

9. rstan2010

rstan2010 Member
    from Troy MI

35K seems ok with the plow. If you buy it I would do a dpf delete with H&S mini max. You'll love the truck.

10. johndeereguy

johndeereguy Senior Member
    from Iowa

What is a dpf delete?

11. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

diesel particulate filter .$$$
    i call it an egr delete.

12. tugboat609

tugboat609 Member

Get rid of both the cat and dpf and straight pipe it. I have a H&S XRT Pro and I love it !

13. RepoMan1968

5'' Magnaflo exaust turbo back

afe cold air intake w/ zoodad

sct tuner w/ innovative x-treme street

Total labor / install $2k

be nice , dont raise the heads:laughing:

ever see a 7300# pick em up go 0-60 in 3 secs ?:nod:

14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd go with Spartan tunes, some of the box tuners don't tune the trans and it makes a huge difference. Spartan has some great tunes out for the 6.4s.

Intake and 4" exhaust. If you want a 4" downpipe you have to pull the trans out or the cab off to get it in. Most kits are 4" downpipe back.
    Also do egr block, you can go through the process of deleting the whole system if you want.

15. RepoMan1968

oh yeah , you get 3 tunes with Eric @ INNOVATIVE DIESEL

I went with X-treme street for daily driver

X-treme drag for weekend racing at The Buck

And most important X-treme Tow for hogging 2 ton salt , 1200# plow and plowing

16. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I had a job 1, loved it. what size air dam is under the bumper?

sparten is the way to go

17. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

x2 on the idea of not being afraid of the job 1 and 2 trucks. With tuning and all the recalls ford has done they seem to be holding up just fine.

18. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

i always by job 1's it seems, got my 08 in when the 09's were coming out, got my 011 in may 2010

19. Deut2210a

Deut2210a Member

I have an 08 job 1 and so far so good

I have an H&S minimax with a 4" straight pipe. Loads of power but fuel economy isn't good at about 8mpg while plowing, 12-15 mpg in summer. What are you guys getting?

20. mg1826

mg1826 Member

Is anyone able to 100% confirm if the factory Ford warranty will or will not be voided if I do a dpf delete and tuner?? If I get this truck there is a full power train warranty up to 100K and the truck only has about 39K on it.
    If it does void the warranty what are my best options to get a little better power and mpg without voiding it? Air intake and exhaust?