1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

08 chevy rust

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CityGuy, Mar 6, 2009.

1. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Ok so I finally broke down and bought a new truck last September. The build date on the door was 08/08. I see that there is rust forming on the bumpers and the u-joits along with the drive shaft and on the inside of the frame already. The dealership to me this is normal and will not do anything about it. I still have my 98 in mint condition with no rust anywhere. Also the front diff is starting to leak a little and they called this normal seepage. I'm sorry but this should not be happening on a relatively new truck. What is my next step? Should I take pictures of it and send it to someone? If so Who?

2. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

huh?

If there is rust on the bumpers and no damage otherwise then you have a 3/36 bumper to bumper and a 12/12 all inclusive for all cosmetic. That should be taken care of.

Rust on the under carriage .... Unless it is excessive and has caused structural weakening then your on your own.

I would highly suggest on these new trucks to get the rust proofing and under coating and keep up on it. The frames are so thin that an rust over time will make the truck a throw away.

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I have 2 NBS trucks and they aren't rusting any worse the my OBS's did. The frames are exactly the same as the OBS trucks so not sure why you say there throw away trucks. I do FF everything I own.

4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I took it to a new dealer today and they laughed at the other dealer. They say that they have had many complaints about them. The new dealer is going to get it in this week and make it right with new bumpers and they are going to clean up the frame and spray it down with an undrcoating. All under warrenty.

5. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

My frame opinion is based on my 97 k3500 which was a generation gap between NBS, OBS and really old OBS.

I am reading a number of complaints about cracked frames. I know some folks who sell the metal and the requirements were to stretch it and tensile it. So, I'm guessing with little material to spare ... well, it's all down hill.

6. TLB

TLB Senior Member

I was going to tell you to take it to another dealership, we see this kind of complaint all the time.
    It doesn't cost the dealership anything to get this corrected, provided they follow the steps that GM issues for warrenty repair.

Hope they take care of your concerns.

7. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

based on your responce I assume you work for a dealer? If so is this a common issue with the bumpers? I see alot of people on here talking about rusted bumpers.

8. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

I thought I heard something about the bumpers rusting. I wouldn't worry about surface rust on the undercarriage, that is normal and if you don't have it on your older truck- well that's just amazing. I would tell them to re-seal and fill your diff, the answer they gave you isn't something I would accept.