1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

08 Chevy install tips

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by TimKIng, Dec 23, 2008.

1. TimKIng

TimKIng Junior Member
    from Ohio

I'm about to install all the wiring and mount on my 08 chevy 2500hd. I'm putting on a Boss 8.0 straight, along with the huge harness I got the headlight adapter that looks overly complicated. Anyone have any tips on the wiring install on this truck? It has relays in this headlight kit, is it going to take anymore relays or anything. These instructions seem a little too universal.

2. White Knight

White Knight Member

find a keyed fuse source under the hood for the red/black wire, mount relays to the bottom of the fuse box ([I]under the hood]) the base is just a hollow shell, mount the headlight adapter relays just behide the grill on the sheet metal to the left and right of the radiator. carefull with the fifth relay some years run to pos and some mount to neg (read the tag on the white\red wire). there is a rubber gromet on the fire wall it can be a pain in the a but the molex connector and the plow light switch wires will fit through there if your truck has a secodary battery mount the solenoid next to that the wire harness shuld be long enough to reach over there good luck

3. TimKIng

TimKIng Junior Member
    from Ohio

For got to mention, it's a dmax so it has 2 batteries. Good stuff, keep it coming please. Any headlight wiring specific tips?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You think a Boss wiring harness is huge or over complicated you've obviously never done a Western or Fisher on a late model. :nod:

Head light relays/adapters are easy. Tuck them upright behind the lights. Run each power wire directly to each battery. Be sure to follow and comprehend the adapter install instructions.

Not tough at all.

5. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Remove the entire front grille & headlights before you start. It makes routing the wires a breeze. Be sure to double check the A/B side of the headlight adapter. It will plug in either the right way or 180 degrees off. The plug does NOT protect you from doing it wrong!. If you don't know what I'm talking about, re-read the directions until you do! If you plug it in with the polarity reversed you will blow the headlight fuses as soon as you turn it on.

Once you get the wires routed, take the time to zip-tie them every 10-15 inches so they don't come loose and flop around. If you use the big red power box for the main power tap rather than wiring directly to the battery, you will need to take a box cutter and carve out a better exit port for the cable. Some people strongly recommend against using that point to power the plow claiming that directly on the battery is the only good way, but it's been working just fine for me.

Take the time now to sand off any paint or crud that might interfere with good ground connections and smear dielectric grease on every terminal before you assemble it. The time you spend now doing exceptionally good connections will pay off in the long run.

While you've got the grill off, route the engine block heater cord out around the side of the radiator and zip-tie it to something that will keep it hanging right where you want it.

One thing that catches many people off guard is the fact that once you install the Boss setup, you no longer have individually fused headlight bulbs. You will blow both low beam or both high beam fuses if you get a short so the factory safety feature of only blowing one of your headlights is no longer going to work. It's all or nothing. Speaking of headlights, spend a buck at Radio Shack for a diode to make all 4 headlight bulbs turn on when you go to high beams. Here's a link on how to do it.

6. TimKIng

TimKIng Junior Member
    from Ohio

The headlight adapter harness is pretty big. Does it plug into the lights and the the main harness plugs into them?

7. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

The headlight adapter basically interupts the truck wiring at the headlights, routes the electricity through the plow harness, and then returns the electricity back to the headlights. They are labeled nicely to keep it straight. Look closely at each of the gray 2-wire plugs on the plow harness that are labeled "from truck" or something similar. That's where you'll see the "A" side and "B" side that is critical to get right. Yours should plug into the "A" side.

Basically, the truck comes from the factory with electricity routed like this:
    Switch ------ fuses ------ headlight plugs ----- headlights

When you finish the plow wiring it looks like this:
    Switch ----- fuses ------ headlight plugs ---- "from truck" plow plugs ------ plow relays ------ "to lights" plow plugs ----- headlights

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

All helpful info for the OP aero but the '08's use a completely different style of head light adapters than what your referring to.

Just wanted to clarify just so there's no confusion for the OP at install time. :waving:

9. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Thanks for catching my inaccuracy B&B. I assumed the headlight adapters for '08 would be the same... :eek: