1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

08 chevy 2500.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by hartattack, Jul 22, 2010.

1. hartattack

hartattack Junior Member
    from canada

I just bought this truck and plan to put v plow on it. I have read that timberns should be put on and turn up the torsion bars. If I do this will the truck sit level or will I still need to add a leveling kit
  2. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

What you need to level it out is ballast.
  3. hartattack

hartattack Junior Member
    from canada

What I want is the truck to sit level all year round just for looks. I was going to buy a leveling kit but will the timbern and tightening torsion bars give the same affect and will be better for plowing?
  4. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Timbrens won't raise the front end, it simply prevents the suspension from sagging/bottoming out due to the weight of a plow. I don't know what adjusting the torsion bars will do for you.
    If you just want the truck to sit level unloaded.............then get a leveling kit.
    But for plowing you want weight in the back as well to offset the weight in the front. Also more weight moves snow better and is easier on the truck. The manufacturers will recommend how much weight to ballast out the rear end. But with a leveling kit and ballast, you'll may have a rear end sag.

If it were me, I would crank the t-bars some and put timbrens on. You can do a search on here for recommendations on that. So decide whether you want a truck that looks good or a properly set up plow truck ;)
  5. chitown sparky

chitown sparky Senior Member

I have a 2007 2500 new body style and I only put timbrens on it and with the 8'2" poly v xt on and 800lb. in the bed it only sags about a 1/2" between the tire and wheel well hope have a buddy who is a mechanic and he told me if you crank up the t bars you need an alignment I didn't crank them up hope that helps
  6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Cranking your torsion bars will keep you sitting level year round.
  7. EXR

EXR Senior Member

You will need a level kit.
  8. wellnermp

wellnermp Senior Member
    from Alaska

I cranked up the torsion bars on my '08 and it sits level, looks good.
  9. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Allz I did is give the T bars 4 cranks on my 09... Looks pretty level to me... Some guys just like wasting money I guess :dizzy:

10. mike1316

mike1316 Senior Member

Just crank the bolts up. I have an 09 2500hd and i just crank the. Bolts. And now it sit level
  11. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Crank the bolts and if you want put in longer shocks like bilstien 5100s to help with increased travel. Mine sits perfectly level all year around and drops a half on an inch with a 1000lb plow on the front and salt in the back. U dont need a leveling kit.
  12. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Leveling kits/Key's are snake oil. You'll max out your shocks or hit your bump stop before anything. Key's will just do it quicker (unless you get cognito upper control arms).

Supposedly you can use Ford keys from an F150 as a cheap alternative.
  13. mstapper

mstapper Junior Member
    from Iowa

Hey Guys, Some have told me my 2009 2500hd gasser could not hold a v blade. I do not have a plow prep package. Is this true? How heavy of a blade can I safely handle? Thanks
  14. chitown sparky

chitown sparky Senior Member

i have a new body style 07 gasser and a 8'2" poly v boss and without timbrens it only saged 1/2 " without anything in the back and it rides just fine with it hanging off the front the only problem is when i try to turn the wheel when i'm not moving hope that helps