1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

08 5500 Dodge CTD

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by BOSS550, Jul 31, 2007.

1. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

Anybody have or got to see the new 5500 Dodge trucks yet? Supposed to be the equivilent of Chevy 5500 and Ford F550. I called my local dealer today and they told me they aren't out yet. I generally don't believe much that dealers say. I've found most dealers are knuckleheads.:dizzy: Dodge website has some info but not enough on the specs. Anybodyknow more???...

2. 1sthippy

1sthippy Member

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The dealers down this way have them on the lot.

4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I have read the specs on the 4500 and 5500 no less than 10 times since it was announced that they were going into production. Everything about them appears to be truly "heavy duty" which I love. The major downfall I see is that they don't come with a truck box... it's cab and chassis only. Because of that I don't see myself getting one right away.

Basher, what's the name of the dealership you saw them at? I want to call them and check the price.

5. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

Thanks Hippy, Sterling site worked good. Camden, I bet you could get a dually take off box from a truck upfitter. Those trucks are certainly not built with a pickup box in mind.
    Anybody drive one yet?

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Newark Dodge, Newark Delaware

They have a white Cab and chassis sitting out front.
    Haven't had a chance to stop and look

7. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I would give anything to have one...:)

8. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

Basher, I called them this morning and I was told that is a 3500. Noone has ever heard of a 5500 there. They said the dealers are usually the last to know. I told him to look at Dodges website and he couldn't believe it. I'm certainly not suprised.

9. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

Hippy, just hung up with Sterling. This dealer said no trucks available till Nov/ Dec. They aren't taking orders but did place an initial order for a few. No pricing, no literature, no clues. Was also told this is typical with new model releases.

10. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I also called the local Sterling dealer and the salesman told me that they were planning on having a Bullet at the Minnesota State Fair. You can place an order for one at that time and take delivery some time at the end of Sept.

I have an e-mail into Western and Boss to see if they plan on having a mount and harness ready to fit these trucks but I haven't heard back yet.

11. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

Hey Basher, Newark Dodge called me this afternoon to tell me they are not authorized to sell 4500/5500 trucks. SAid they have no techs trained on them and their facilities are not capable of servicing these trucks--i.e.. their lifts are too small. Interesting info Camden!! I'm still on the hunt:gunsfiring:

12. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

It's a demand issue for Newark- once the truck is released, if they carry Dodge trucks they'll be carrying the Dodge version- training and tools are a moot point- they'll be required to buy the tools and they'll receive the training when the time comes- assumeing they are still in business. DC is closeing 55K dealerships in the next 6 months unless they shape up in sales and service. (honest truith- I'm in the industry)

These trucks are not designed with a pickup body in mind so it's unlikely you'll see any for a while, unless the frame dimensions match the 3500's to make it an easy swap.

Speaking of dealers being the last to know- I have been hearing repeatedly from a large local Dodge truck dealer that Dodge was discontinueing the 3500's for 08 and that local dealers were unable to get DRW models for the last 6 months.

This inspite of the announcement 6 months ago of the 4500 coming to the US and the changes announced in the diesel trucks....

I think with the probable sale of Chrysler/Dodge from DC to the holding firm, you'll see a few changes, like additional brands being sold on the same lot (Sterling HD trucks alongside Dodge Trucks and cars- like Ford and GM do)

13. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I e-mailed Western to see if they'll have a mount and harness ready for the 4500 and 5500 and here's what they said:

Thank you for visiting our website and for your inquiry.

It is our intention to offer a snowplow for this truck, however, we have
    not yet completed our evaluation of the vehicle. Please check back with
    us or your local distributor this fall.

Sincerely,
    Customer Service

I don't know about you guys but there's no way I'm going to buy one of these trucks without knowing whether or not I can equip it with a plow! Like I said before, I was already a little turned off over the fact that you can't get a truck box with them but this puts me over the edge. I'll just wait until the '09s are out...

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Sorry about that, saw the cab and chaissis from the road and assummed they had the entire line.

Dealers are the last to know because most just don't care. Sell what's on the lot and the H%$# with all the rest. Another reason dealerships are failing all over the place.

15. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Camden,
    I just spoke with Burnsville Dodge on Labor Day and they said that the dealership would have one in about 10 days. They said it would be a reg cab 4500 and would give me a call as soon as it came in. I told them that I was interested, they took my number and I will see if they call in a few days. I'll keep you posted. I want one!:redbounce

16. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah, keep me posted for sure! I talked to the Dodge guys down at the state fair and they ran some prices for me. $43k for the one I wanted (loaded minus navigation). They also said that Maney International makes a conversion kit so that you can put a box on it. If Boss or Western could come through with a mount and harness for these trucks I can definitely see myself getting one.

17. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

I've been looking for the last few months and I've been told:

1) The dealership has to be "Business Link". There's one Business Link dealership in Maine and one in New Hampshire.

2) The Business Link dealership in Maine said that they may not be buying the franchise for the 4500/5500 trucks.

It shouldn't be this tough.

18. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

chevy better wise up and ford better watch out dodge is back and for years mopar is talked down upon,with my considerd i may be trading my 06' chevy 3500 in for a new 08' 3500/4500 dodge ive seen a 07 3500 dodge with dump body and plow and the front end sits around 3 inches higher if not more

19. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

The frame specs are on the Dodge website, if they dont have a mount available they dropped the ball.

IMO I would avoid Dodge all together, go right to Sterling. Why monkey around with a MiniVan emporium when you can go right to a Real truck dealership.
    I haven't had many issues with My 2500HD Cummins truck, but I do shutter when I walk into there dealership for service. Sure we got a Diesel Tech T, he has a truck just like yours :rolleyes:

20. 2003ctd

2003ctd Senior Member

The dodge and the sterling come off of the same assembly line. Exact same truck with a different badge. Not one difference in them.. Sounds like you need to find yourself a new dealership. Everyone in my area, have atleast 3 certified cummins diesel techs, that have gone through the same school the sterling guys did.