1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

08 3500hd dump is 12k gvwr enough??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by balreadysaid, Jul 22, 2010.

1. balreadysaid

balreadysaid Junior Member

I have the opportunity to buy a almost new condition 08 3500hd diesel dump truck 4x4
    for a really good price it has 24k miles on it and is mint. it has a 12k gvwr though and the dump bed weighs 1 ton i wieghed the truck and it wiegh 7400 with low fuel i figure 7600 empty full of fuel. will this be enough for a plow and salter sander? i dont want to be overloaded and get tickets my lisence has is new and i just got it back from a 3 year hiatus! no points are allowed. anyone with some insight, info or advice please dont hesitate. thanks!

2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Everything all said and done,
    The Plow will weigh about 1000 lbs
    The Salter will weigh about 1000 lbs
    So that 9600 lbs

So that will leave you with about 1.5 yards of salt......

You can take the dump bed off and mount the salter to the frame to give you that extra yard of salt....

3. balreadysaid

is that with the salter filled right up? see i have plow trucks just 2 reg cad ford and dodge with 8 ft poly plows i dont salt or sand anything just plow my lots and and do driveways for people who come to my shop. i have no clue what 1 yard of salt or sand weighs. i take it that you say i can only go for 1.5 yards of salt or that it will fill up that salter and my wight is all good? lol dont mean to be a noob! but when it comes to this!!!

i run poly plows only 8ft on the pickups my one uncle has a nice stailess 9ft but says it will be too heavy for the chevy. i would like to know what a good plow would be for that truck. any info helps a ton

4. Triple L

from Canada

We always say a yard of salt weight roughly 1 ton... Give or take...

I know a 9.2 Boss V-XT is just nice... I have one on my 1 ton chevy Dmax and it carrys it nicely

5. balreadysaid

sounds good! ill need to talk to my plow dealer, he sell a few different brands western being his top brand. i know he has blizard, can do fisher, and ??? what ever goes along with thoughs brands i dont know if they are all owned by the same company.

you would say the boss that you have is arround 1000lbs?

6. Triple L

from Canada

its 840 or 880 or something like that.... But when you add the truck harness and that plus the snow and ice that on it or stuck to it... I'd be willing to bet your getting close to 1000 lbs...

With V blades some of the weight is transferred back cause the whole blade it not hanging out at the pivot point... Making it easier on the truck...

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think you should weigh your truck again. I have an 07 and it weighs 9200. If the box is 2000lbs there is no way a diesel cab and chassis is 5400.

Do you have a steel dump box, at 2000lbs I am guessing so.

8. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

My 2500 reg cab long bed dmax tips the scales at over 7g's... Seems like the dump would weigh more....

9. balreadysaid

me too! i figured way more but when i wheghed it at a mossa in my town thats what it read lol i guess town guys are hooken ppl up. ill try to get a better weigh in at my buddies scrap yard. see if it is similar.