1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

08 2500hd what size blade?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by blkz06, Dec 31, 2008.

1. blkz06

blkz06 Junior Member

Looking to get a plow but not sure what size blade. Truck is an 2008 silverado 2500hd with a 6.0. Not sure if I shoud go 8ft or slightly bigger. Mostly for smaller lots and a few driveways nothing to tight of a space. Thanks

2. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Get at least an 8'6" straight. If you're spending $4k+ for a straight, I'd take the step up to a MVP+ 8'6" V plow. I work for this guy and he has 2 of the V plows. Check it out on his 07. He has plow wings on both the 07 and 04. http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=68171

3. blkz06

blkz06 Junior Member

I was leaning toward a 8.6 myself but was told buy a few guys that it was too big for my 3/4 ton. Then some guys told me to go with a 9ft. I think the v might be over kill for me but then again ive never plowed with one. Thanks alot

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Go with a 9 ft trust me, we've ran 9ft's on all of our GM's since the 80's and our 3 newest one's all have Dmax's. Take your blade off when not plowing and you'll be fine.

5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

9 ft, or forget it. I got rid of my 8 footer, and put on a 9 footer last year. I wouldn't trade it for anything other than a V plow.

6. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

8 with wings
    or vplow but they are heavy

7. chips

chips Junior Member

32 yrs plowing, always go with the 9'. I use western 9' commercial so I can use the wings.
    Cant beat a 11'er with no trail off, and save 1/3 the plow time.

8. plow4u

plow4u PlowSite.com Veteran

my 07 w wideout

I really like my wideout on my 2007 2500HD

PA300001.jpg

9. zztarg

zztarg Member

I've got an 8 1/2 on my '05 - pushes like crazy.

10. blkz06

blkz06 Junior Member

My truck has the 6.0 not the DMAX. Not sure how much of a differnece that would make when going with a larger blade.

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The 6.0 is a lot lighter then the Dmax. You can put a larger blade on there for sure. The V was only a few bucks more then the straight blade but if you have no use for a V then I would buy a 8'6" Contractor and a set of Wings, just don't bang the wings into the curbs.

12. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

10' sounds good to me lol

13. bigstriss

bigstriss Junior Member
    from Il.

I have a 8'6'' on my 08 2500 Hd and it is just fine

14. larold83

larold83 Senior Member

15. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

single, ext or crew cab?

16. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I'd go with a Western 8.5 V. You'll like that better than a straight blad for the lots you do. It's worth the extra $. Or you could go with a Wideout. But I think you'd like a V better for backdragging and such. My new one does an excellent job backdragging!

17. blkz06

blkz06 Junior Member

Its a crew cab short bed.

18. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

The 8' will be alittle small. But it all depends on YOUR needs I'd do atleast an 8.5'er just My opinion. The weight difference isn't that much between the plows and with the 6.0 your alot lighter than a dmax.

19. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I'd go with the 8.6 because when you angle you lose a lot of width and you will be driving on your windrow and kick yourself for not doing it. 9 is to much in my opinion.

20. DODGEing

DODGEing Member

wide out ! :realmad: if you dont. Watch the video @ Westerns web site. My next plow will be A wide out no question. Versatile and you can make more/faster payup, push more with a 10 footer, back drag with it 8' . I watched A guy with one while getting a bite to eat and was very impressed.