1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

08 2500 Quad w/6.7 first impressions

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Groove, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Groove

Groove Junior Member
    from Boston

I traded in my 2000 Quad Cab diesel for an 08 Quad Cab diesel. I moved my Fisher 8' HD from the old to the new.

1) It was a pain mounting the push plates. You need to remove the bumper and drill 6 holes.

2) The push plates are lower than those on my 2000. (I didn't measure but I would guess an inch lower.)

3) The engine compartment is full. I'm mounted that control module on top of the fuse box but it's real hard to get at the fuse box should I need to. I need to find a new place to mount it.

4) My truck came with plow prep (my 2000 didn't) and it has much less drop when you pick up the blade.

5) You need to remove or cut the plastic air dam below the bumper.

6) You need to remove the plastic front license plate holder. (Yep, real close)

7) This tuck has much more weight on the rear. I had twice the two wheel drive traction as my 2000. This made it real nice for cleanup.

8) Gearing. If you like to fly in reverse, forget it. I found myself at 2500 rpm in reverse before I felt like I was moving at a good speed. I really didn't like this at first. Then I realize that in trickier areas it was great. I could back down a steep hill real slow without touching the brake. I now appreciate and like the gearing.

9) Hood. With the blade all the way up, I can barely see the passenger side of the plow. Drop the blade down and you can still see the marker. (I'm 6 foot and have the electric seat all the way down.)

10) Overall I can easily say it plows better than my 2000. I just had more confidence with plow placement with my 2000 because I could see the blade so well. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

11) Six speed automatic and automatic exhaust brake. What can I say other than WOW.
  2. db27

db27 Member

Glad to hear your report on the 6.7 cummins.
    Im sure it will give you many hundreds of thousands of miles of good service.
    How is the mpg doing?
    If you have a need for info on dodge diesel maint. and common troubles check out turbodieselregister.com
  3. Groove

Groove Junior Member
    from Boston

I've been a TDR member for 8+ years. Tons of good members and info there.

Mileage is to early to tell. I have not hand calculated yet. I think I'll average 16 mpg which isn't bad for a Cummins with less than 1,000 miles on it. Looks like you got one of the last 5.9's. I was on the fence as I loved my 5.9. It was the 6 speed and exhaust brake that sold me.
  4. niederhauser la

niederhauser la Member
    from Utah

I didnt think you could get the snow plow prep with the diesel motor.
  5. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

yes you can for sure.
  6. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

sorry a lot of dealers are saying u can't get the plow prep with the diesel motors. guess I sould say this, it will depend on what type of blade if your wanting to put on. if u are wanting a V on they will not allow it. some of them will if you have a good relationship with them and then if you have any prbs with that truck they have told me that If i had to take it some where else or that it may be voided if dodge checks deep enough. mainly because you will be over your weight fo the front end. And it's not just the dodges it cheys to.
  7. Groove

Groove Junior Member
    from Boston

My 08 diesel did come with the factory plow prep package so I know you can order it that way.
  8. db27

db27 Member

That dont sound to bad on the mpg.
    Glad to hear your a fellow tdr member.
  9. Groove

Groove Junior Member
    from Boston

1) I've noticed feathering one the right front tire at 3,000 miles. I got 80k out of my tires on my 2000 dodge.

2) I added a 2" leveling kit. My Fisher plow is now at a better angle and can be lifted to a better height for angled transporting.

3) I found fuel milage is highly dependant on my right foot. I got 16.5 on one tank with no plowing or towing. I've also gotten 13.7 with not plowing or towing. (little quicker out of the lights)

4) The plow prep springs are pretty stiff even with the diesel up front.
  10. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

If I am not mistaken, you cannot get the plow prep package with a quad cab, long bed model with the Cummins. Good luck with your new truck!!
  11. kewservices@fro

kewservices@fro Junior Member

i also traded my 2001 dodge 2500 cummins with a 8 foot fisher in for a 2008 dodge 2500 6.7 auto and had my dealer put a 9.6 fisher extreme v on it and all i can say is that thing can sure move some snow
  12. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

No plow prep on the Quad cab long bed CTD. Yet I have seen them on it
  13. 2003ctd

2003ctd Senior Member

You can get a Plow Prep package on the quad diesels, they just don't want you hanging a huge plow on the front of it. I've been out looking at new trucks, and every quad diesel I've seen has the prep package. And every dealer laughs when I ask about the warranty BS, they all have the same response..."can't hang a plow on a ram, dodge would be out of business if you couldn't"
  14. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

I prefer the turning radius on our '99 to our '03. You're right about not seeing much of the plow over the hood---takes some getting used to.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Loved my 03 1500. My only complaint was the A pillars, these things were way too thick making some serious blind spots. Matter was even worse with the window vents added to the perimiter. Not seeing the blade was hard at first too. Trust me a few hours behind the wheel and you will not even notice it any more.

Keep us informed with the truck. Lots of us are interested in the 6.7. Are the blocks of these engines much the same or are they a totally diferent engine than the 5.9.
  16. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Hey groove. Any problems with the DPF? Did you get that DVD in the mail like my friend said he got explaining the problems with the dpf?
  17. Groove

Groove Junior Member
    from Boston

I'm aware of the DPF issue however I've only got 4,000 miles on it and no problems yet. DVD, what DVD?

I need to air down my front tires lower than I want to get a ride that won't break my back. The front springs are killer with the plow prep. I guess its better then being too soft.