1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

07 Ram 2500 clicking noise from column.......

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by JBMiller616, Jan 7, 2010.

1. JBMiller616

JBMiller616 Senior Member

One of my guys came into the office today and told me there is a vibration and noise coming from the truck. I took it for a spin and sure enough there is a minor vibration coming from behind the dash as well as a ticking sound. The ticking sound gets faster as the truck increases speed then slows again as the truck comes to a stop. I stuck my head up under the dash and the ticking sound can still be heard slightly at idle. I did a little searching online and the best I could come up with is possibly the column clock spring.

The truck is still under warranty, but I like to have an idea of whats wrong before bringing it into the stealer to keep truck downtime to a minimum. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? What was the fix?

It's been a hell of a week for the trucks. I've got one in the shop for a leaking rear main, another one just got out yesterday with electrical problems, same one had a plow solenoid blow yesterday, and one of the guys put a gouge in the side of the Dodge. I'm about ready to start cracking skulls.

:angry:

Anyway, any help is appreciated.

2. JBMiller616

JBMiller616 Senior Member

Found the problem, giant plastic sheet wrapped around the front driveshaft.