1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

07 f350 dually with 5.4 engine....max towing capacity

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by excav8ter, Dec 29, 2011.

1. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Hey all, I need help finding the maximum weight that an 07 F350 can legally pull. I am supposed to drive a truck for someone tomorrow, who I disagree with, on the maximum safe load that his truck can pull. It's an 07 F350 DRW, 4x4, automatic trans with a 410 rearend. The truck is a gutless pig that could not pull the skin off day old chocolate pudding......compared to my 07 powerstoke.....

Thanks

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

legally pull depends upon the gvwr on the door sticker, and the gvwr of the trailer.
    now what your accually pulling is another story. what are you pulling? and what size is the trailer?

3. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

I am pretty sure that the GVWR on the door is 18,300 and the trailer is a 12k capacity. The load on the trailer is either going to be a John Deere 35d mini excavator (7900lb.) or a 323d CTL (8350lb). Trailer weighs about 2,500 pounds.

4. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

It should able to handle that load but remind turn off overdrive.

Was truck white reg cab?

5. dieselss

well i can tell you that unless you have a cdl you cant legally tow that...its over weight, not even loaded. thats way over the class c limit. all that aside, i would think that it could tow it. trailer have brakes i assume?

6. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Yeah, white regular cab with a 12' flat bed with line x or something like that on it.

7. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

I personally have a CDL that covers me, as I have a T800 Kenworth that i pull my excavator with, or my mini excavator and CTL.

The Deere 323d on my trailer weighs about 11,800 and the trailer has brakes that work. I have been stopped by the DOT while pulling my Takeuchi TL130, which is very similar to the 32d, and the DOT said I'm good to go, but this guy wants to put 12,000lbs. On my 12,000 pound trailer and pull it with an 8,000lb truck.

None of his subs, who also drive for him have a CDL of any type either, he says we don't need them if we are under 26,000 but I disagree. This guy always does the bare minimum to get by. I always thought we needed a CD if we were pulling a trailer that weighs more than 10,000lbs.

I won't even go into how he thinks equipment should be tied down or how he has abopted the "if it fits, it ships" mentality. I have refused to drive his trucks until he figures out what is legal. I like to work for the guy, but I also have my own business to run and my own trucks to use.

8. dieselss

well you dont need a cdl for a 10,000 ib trailer. BUT the law is any combined combination that is more than 26000 requires a cdl.----fact the dot or state police go by the door sticker and the trailer weight rating. now as far as tie downs, thats always up to you as the driver to do the right thing. we were told by ISP. that a 4 point tie down is requied.
    i also work for a owner that is the same way, I just say its unsafe or not legal so i dont do it or do it legally.
    just thought in indiana the min. is the chauffer

9. dieselss

but this guy wants to put 12,000lbs. On my 12,000 pound trailer and pull it with an 8,000lb truck.
    ok,,what do semis pull??? 80,000 and what does there tractor weigh?

10. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

That's true.

11. dieselss

on a side bar,,,i totally understand where your coming from. I would say if its loader properly then give it a try.

12. Tbrothers

Tbrothers Senior Member

I would be willing to guess that a F350 GVWR isn't 18,300 more like 15k maybe. the new F550 are barely rated for that much. With that being said its not wether the truck would pull it but if it will stop it if you run into a problem.

13. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Exactly! Thumbs Up

14. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

The door sticker says the GVWR is 13,000 but there is no other information.

15. Tbrothers

Tbrothers Senior Member

From what I've found the GCWR of a 07 F350 is 17k. Thats truck and trailer combo. check the owners manual it will tell you all the weights. bumper hitch is different than say 5th wheel.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  16. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Thank you.... that's basically what I found too. This guy contends that because he has a 24,000 lb. plate, he is legal to pull up to that amount..... with out a CDL too....

17. dieselss

You don't need a cdl till 26001 gvwr of truck with trail its the combined weight of both .

18. Tbrothers

Tbrothers Senior Member

not sure how he can have a plate for more than the truck is rated to tow. If it way over I wouldn't tow it. your best bet would be to weigh the truck and trailer to see what it weighs. As for the cdl your under the 26000.

19. dieselss

The plate might just be what the ratings fall under. I'm not sure of mich laws. You can over plate tho, its up the the owner to decide

20. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

The Secretary of state will try to tell you what you need if you are not sure. Best to go in there informed and know what plate you need. The guy I am helping paid nearly $600 for his plate and i pay $160. I have been stopped by the Mi DOT while pulling my mini excavator and my CTL. Both times they check my lights and restraints and tell me I'm good to go. Last week we were working in Baldwin Mi. on Big Star lake, I was done early and was told to head back to Holland, well the truck he sent up which was pulling a John Deere 323d, only had a 5,000 pound rated hitch, but the trailer, CTL and grapple bucket weigh in at around 13,000 lbs. I told him I was not driving his truck home with that hitch set up....so I didn't, another one of his subs did.