1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

07 f-350 frontend trouble

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by magnatrac, Jan 3, 2008.

1. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 07 f 350 and my front end is shaking. I have manual hubs and it will only do this when the hubs are locked. It drives great when they are unlocked. The truck has 18k on it and I am going to take it to the dealer next week as we are going to have warm weather. I am just curious what you guys think. I rarely use 4 wheel in the summer and didn't realize my problem untill it snowed. I've been using the truck with my figers crossed but now is my chance to get it fixed while it's warm. Again I was just curious what you guys might think the problem is, u-joint or something? Thanks, shaun

KATTRANSPORT Senior Member

If you are driving around with your hubs locked on dry pavement then you just answered your own question. The hubs should only be locked when in 4 wheel drive.
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Horse hockey. My manual hubs get locked and stay locked from the first snow to the last (Nov-April).

Locked hubs will wear a bit faster this way, but they will not cause vibration if they are in good condition. You will also loose some mileage, but it beats having to remember to lock them before every storm.

Could be a u-joint.

Does it happen all the time or just after hitting a bump? Could be the death wobble too.
  4. magnatrac

Job to job I leave my hubs locked while my transfer case is NOT in 4 high. It never did this last winter . When I took delivery of the truck last year I drove for two weeks with the hubs locked. I never thought to look at them, but it didn't shake then. My truck has old school manual hubs not the auto manual hubs. On dry pavement I should be able to drive in 4x4 and not have it shake as long as I am going sraight at less than 45 mph. This is how every truck I have ever owned has been. Right now it starts shaking at 25 or 30mph. Sorry for the vague information, again just curious. thanks , shaun
  5. magnatrac

It does it any time it is locked. doesn't matter weather the transfer case is shifted in or out of 4x4. rough or smooth roads it's all the same. I know the truck is under warranty and most people would just let the dealer worry about but i was just wondering of someone here has had a similar problem.
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It sounds like a job for the dealer to solve. You should not even notice the hubs are locked. I notice just a little resistance to forward motion on any truck I have had when the hubs are locked. You should have a straight front axle. It has to be the front drive shaft U joints binding I would think.
  7. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

go join up on ford-trucks.com . ... its an awesome site for ford specific info. an youll get some ideas over there.

also i take it job to job you have your plow on your truck right? maybe put the plow on and drive down the road with the truck in 2 wheel with hubs unlocked, maybe that has something to do with it and since every time the plows on the truck you probaly lock the hubs it could be leading you in the wrong direction. :bluebounc
  8. jjtmarineb2

jjtmarineb2 Member

1. the driveshaft may be bent/twisted/out of balance
    2. driveshaft bolts/straps could have worked loose.. it does happen
    3. u-joints are worn or damaged.. less likely on the worn part but if there is no grease or water got in there..
    4. twisted, bent, or broken axle shafts
    5. axle shaft bearings inside the hub could be damaged due to lack of grease, water, etc.

Most times if it is vibrating badly, you can determine the source fairly quickly with a visual inspection coupled with grabbing parts and trying to move them around. Hope this helps and good luck!:salute:
  9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Let us know what you find out.
  10. magnatrac

It is going in to the shop 7am monday. I went in to talk to them before so that they understand the problem and hopefully fix it right the first time. It only took three trips to get my oil leak fixed!!! They always try to do as little as possible instead of just fixing it. As long as I am back up and running after next weeks warm up I'll be happy !!! I'll keep you posted. Thanks ,shaun
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

On a truck with locking hubs, when the hubs are both locked EVERYTHING in the front end turns...the axles, differential, ring & pinion, and drive shaft are all turning, along with every component in the T-case. Of course, it's not until you actually pull the T-case into 4WD that it actually sends power through those spinning components.

I do remember seeing a few '07's at the local Ford dealership a while back waiting on replacement front drive shafts, and by your description, does sound like a classic drive shaft problem.
  12. jjtmarineb2

jjtmarineb2 Member

Thanks B&B! I thought I knew what I was talking about! :rolleyes::salute:
  13. magnatrac

Ok so here we are day one at the dealer they agree there is a problem!!! Johny tell me what they win!!! Anyways they know there is a problem but don't know what the cause is. I actually got to talk to the mechanic ,I mean tech( apparentally they now call them tech's) and he said he is going to ask the ford tech line for help. Doesn't make he very happy but atleast they know something isn't right. I guess I'll see what day two at the dealer holds!!! B&B thanks for spelling it out so everyone can understand how old school 4x4 works!!! I'll keep you guys posted!!!
  14. magnatrac

Ok so here we are day two and I have my truck back, but nothing has been done. They said that they cannot just start putting parts on it so I have to wait for a factory tech to come and look at it. Doesn't look good for me. I decided to take my truck down the street to an oil change I maintain so i could get under it and take a close look for myself. I couldn't see anything wrong just like they told me but I did see that my transfer case is bleeding!!! Lucky me, another problem:dizzy::dizzy: It is dripping oil from a gasket on the back side. I went right back to the dealer to let them know about this lovely little problem. They are supposed to call me and set up a time when the factory guy can look at my truck. This is the last thing I wanted this time of year but then again that's what makes this job so much fun!!! I am just going to keep using it like nothing is wrong. They can tow me in when something decides to let loose. Again I'll keep you guys posted !!!

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

WTF...! That's just wrong...had your truck an whole day and no problem diagnosis??? Who the heck are the guys working on our trucks at these dealerships???? They have to wait for a factory rep??? Sounds like a big bullsh$$T story coming for you!! Good thing you sound good natured about it...I'd be livid.........now it's leaking (I'm sure where they stuck their little fingers into things) grrrr dealers make me mad as hell....
  16. tim096

tim096 Senior Member
    from wny

I agree with mowbizz.I worked at a ford dealer for 20 years, and would never tell a customer I need a factor rep to fix a 4by4 problem. If they dont call you within 24 hours I would want to talk to the service manger. If that dose not get you anywear I would demand to talk to the factory rep. I would also demand a f350 loaner if they cant fix it. You might want to try a different dealer.jmo
    good luck
  17. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

the drive shaft should be easy to figure out pull the drive shaft out and drive the truck with the hubs locked in and see if it acts the same way. If it is not the drive shaft i would say that it is a u joint.
  18. magnatrac

Funny I told the dealer to try that!!! I told them I'll pay for new u joints let's just get it fixed. They said not to spend a dime the truck is under warranty. Now the truck is going back in on monday and they are taking it up to their other dealership to get fixed.( they recently bought out a large dealer north of me) I guess that shop can do more than change oil !!! They said I'll have it back in a day. Yet still haven't told me what's wrong!!! Right now I am pretty sure there is something wrong with my transfer case. I found the leak the other day and if I drive with everything off in the truck (radio/blower) you can hear what sound like a bad bearing coming from the floor on the truck. As long as it can get fixed I'll be happy. What really gets me going is the fact that the service guy can't call me when he says he will. Oh well, I'll let you guy's know what happens monday.
  19. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

That noise can also be from a bad joint in the front drive shaft
  20. Tuxx

Tuxx Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Trade it in on a Chevy!