1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'07 engine/trans(??) issue

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Plowin in VT, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

This is going to be a long one, so sorry!

About 6 weeks ago, during the first really cold spell we've had (-5 f.) I started my '07 F250 Powerstroke w/an auto trans, and it sounded like it backfired. I let it idle for about 15 minutes, and everything sounded okay. I pulled out, and it wouldn't shift out of 1st gear. I thought that the trans fluid hadn't warmed up yet, and this was a safety thing w/the trans (like my old Duramax had), so I pulled over, and sat for another 15 minutes. I pulled out, and again, it wouldn't shift out of 1st gear, however it would shift manually if I put it in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, but the trans banged into gear. I pulled over again, and noticed that the trans temp was in the operating range, but the engine temp was all the way at cold, even though the heater was blowing hot air. I shut off the truck, started it up again, and the engine temp gauge went to normal, and the truck changed gears like it should (although a little rougher than it used to).

I called the dealer, and they couldn't get me in for another week, so I continued to drive/plow w/it, and everything was fine, except for when I plowed, the trans would slip and take several seconds to engage, and twice the speedo dropped to 0 when I was driving.

The dealer told me that there was a loose sensor on the trans and speedo which is what caused the problems (there was a TSB on it), and I wouldn't have another problem.

I plowed several times since then, and 2 days ago the trans started to slip and act funky again.

Fast forward to yesterday, the 2nd cold spell of the year (-8 F). Started the truck up and it ran like crap, so I let it warm up for 30 minutes. Got in, drove down the road, and it wouldn't go above 30mph, and it sounded like it was either being starved for fuel, or not running on all 8 cylinders. Again, I had heat, but the temp gauge was all the way down. I made a u-turn to head home, and this time it would barely make it to 15mph. I pulled over, shut her down to call for a tow, and when I got back in I started it up and it ran fine and shifted fine.

It's going into the dealer again on Monday, but they don't have a clue what's going on w/it. Does anyone here have any ideas? I always keep the tank above 1/2 full, run diesel fuel additive all winter, and always buy my fuel from high volume dealers. I do not have an outside outlet, so the block heater is not plugged in, but in many years of driving diesels, I have never had to plug one in in weather as cold as -25 F.

Thanks,

Evan

2. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Check your oil.

3. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

Yes the oil level is very vital to the Powerstroke. I had a 1996 that acted the same way & found out the oil was about 1/2 gallon low. It was also due for a change so the oil was thinned out also.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

If his oil was low, wouldn't it run like crap all the time? Not just when he shuts it off and restarts?

Sounds like you have 1 if not more sensors going bad. Shutting it off and restarting resets the computer and it runs fine again. Highly unlikely it is the oil level. Not sure what else to suggest though, as I haven't heard\read of too many runnability issues with the '07s. Do a search for intellidog and look up the TSB's on his site, that might help you out.

The tranny sounds like the infamous snap ring of a couple years ago, maybe a crappy one snuck through.

5. Plowin in VT

I forgot to mention, the check engine light never comes on.

I had checked the trans fluid level, and IMO it looked low, but the dealer said it was fine, and to NOT add any more.

Engine oil is right where it should be.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

If they can't determine the issue, which they probably won't, they can plug in a data recorder to monitor the engine\computer for you. I would demand this if there haven't been any codes set.

7. Plowin in VT

That's a great idea. I'm giving the local dealer one more shot before taking it to the dealer where I purchased it from. My local dealer will not provide a loaner vehicle if it needs to be taken out of service, but the dealer 60 miles away where I got it from will give me a loaner plow truck if it's out of service for even a day!

Unfortunately some of the problems only happen when it is below 0 out, so I might have to bring it to the dealer the night before a cold snap is expected to get those problems diagnosed.

Thanks!

Evan

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Check the VSS on the rear axle. That may be part of the hard shifting problem. Like Mark said. Have the dealer plug it in and check codes.

9. KATTRANSPORT

KATTRANSPORT Senior Member

Having 2 6.0 powerstroke trucks mabye I can shed some light on this. First things first MOST of the 6.0 trucks run like absolute sh*t when its cold. Even worse when the temp goes into the sub zero range. Plugging the truck in helps alot but not always enough. Does your truck have any chips or programmers on it? If so take them off.. They also make the truck do strange things when its cold. Being that they never fixed either of my 6.0 truck ( they were both bought back from Ford) I dont have alot of faith in the 6.0. Oil level is very very important. I would let them put the recorder on the truck but Im going to go out on a limb and say as it gets warmer the problems will subside. When your truck acts up does the speedometer work ? My 03 did things very similar to yours. I woulf let the truck run for 45 minutes cold and then it would run ok. I really think its a temp issue. good luck

10. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Well not all of them run like crap. I have an 04, it started no problem in -20 without a block heater the last few days. All of them sound like absolute Sh*t, like its missfiring and the whole bit but it should work its self out within a minute. You may also want to check out www.superdutydiesel.com, great guys.

Cheers

11. Plowin in VT

Nope, it's bone stock. I'm waiting until I get to 100k before doing anything to it (Veggie Stroke kit:D )

Yes. The speedo only stopped working twice, once 18 hours into a 24 hour plow, and again 7 hours into an 8 hour plow.

I'm used to diesels running/sounding like crap when cold, but both times, by the time that I started driving, everything sounded good, but it was still at "high idle".

I'll check out superdutydiesel.com

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll let you know Monday night what the dealer has to say (if anything).

Evan

12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

13. KATTRANSPORT

KATTRANSPORT Senior Member

If your speedo stopped working then you definatly have a speed sensor problem unless other things are turning off other then the speedo. Sometimes when you plow with the 6.0 with your headlights and other stuff on the alternator cant keep up and things begin to turn off. When your speedo quit working did anything else go of ? Usually its the speedo/tach then the radio dome lights etc, Get me the VIn number I will look up TSB's for you

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008