1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

07 classic 2500HD duramax

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by cubanb343, Oct 23, 2009.

1. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

Hi guys, I am looking for some advice. Just got back from my local Fisher dealer where i wanted to buy a 8.5 foot SS xtreme V. They won't put it on my truck ( ext cab short bed) because its not on Fisher's e-match website. I told him my truck has the plow prep package and the Chevy dealer even said i could put any plow I want on it. He asked if i wanted a 7.5 foot straight blade i said hell no! I will check with other dealers next week but this one is only 2 miles from home! What to do??

2. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

Go with a different plow the hell with a fisher, what other dealers are close?

3. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

there's a boss/sno-way dealer nearby and a blizzard dealer a little farther out- i am kinda partial to fisher cuz i've used them the past 4 years.. just bugs me i guess cuz we all know how much snow a duramax will push

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Have you talked to Jerre on Station Road just north of the highway?

5. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

oh no, not yet!! but i am gonna for sure- i have heard nothing but great things about jerre! he's the blizzard dealer i was talkin about. thank you guys for all your input

6. Crash935

Jerre's if definately worth the trip, both in the educational and entertainment sense. And hes really good at the plow stuff also!!!

7. azandy

azandy Member

I once bought a half ton that had the plow prep package and the dealer said I could put v plow on it. I didn't believe him and he called the local Boss dealer and said ya no problem. This was a new body 07. I thought well maybe it has been improved. When I brought it to the Boss dealer, they laughed at me. The only plow to go on this was a light duty residential 7 foot straight blade. The car dealer agreed to buy it back at full price. Shocking that they would do that but it was kinda their mistake. I should have checked here on plowsite first.
    Lesson learned. Do homework before you buy the truck.
    I do know your classic chev will hold a 8'2" Boss. Just might void the warranty because you are overloading the front axel with a duramax. I have had this combo before.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you compare the Boss V to the Fisher V, you won't be partial to Fisher much longer. Pay attention to the hinge in particular.

And do some reading here about broken pins on XVs and MVPs

9. Snowplow71

Snowplow71 Senior Member

What if you have the dealer install a V mount, wiring, and controller, and then buy the 8.5 SS V from them, or another dealer later on? (just the blade) Ya know what I mean?? First I'd check out Jerre tho!

10. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

I am heading out to talk to Jerre either today or monday. But yeah I know what you mean about having the Fisher dealer just install the mount and wiring.. Good idea! I'll get it on there somehow

11. Crash935

So, did you stop and see him today?

12. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

i stopped by to see jerre.. he says i need to get the upgraded torsion bars at the chevy dealer in order to be good to go on such a heavy plow. i have yet to decide what i am going to do.. either upgrade the torsion bars and buy the plow, or pick a lighter plow, or continue using somebody else's trucks. hahahaha

13. Crash935

Well, hes the man and if anyone knows its him.

Did he actually stand still for 10 minutes to talk to you or was he doing his usual running around. I use to stop by for the day when i was running through there and had time and it was always entertaining to watch him go.

14. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

oh he was running around like a mad man.. but he did stop and take the time to talk with me in between doing like fifteen things at once!! he explained everything very clearly too. i appreciate it

15. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

i should probably ask this in the chevy forum, but are any of you guys running the heavier duty torsion bars with the higher (5200 lb) front axle rating? and have been thru all the paper work getting it certified etc??

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Many guys are running the heavier bars (GL or XG), along with Timbrens.

Certified by who?

17. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

i'm not sure. jerre said i need to get the xg torsion bars, and have the chevy dealer weld gussets in the truck frame.. then get paperwork from the dealer certifying that it's now a heavier front end

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Well the XG bars and gussets are very common. Never heard of having the FAWR changed. Why does it matter what the sticker says, anyway?

19. Crash935

Liability for having a blade that isnt rated for your truck. By having it certified and changing the build sticker you wont have any legal issues "should" something happen. Along with the PA DOT doing a random stop and writing you a nice ticket.

20. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I thought the highest FGVWR available was 4,800LBS? How does one determine which torsion bars they have on their truck? I have the 4,800LB front end (with plow prep) what bars would it have come with from the factory (with the 6.0L gas V8)?