1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

07 Classic 1500 meet my needs?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by carboy, Aug 23, 2007.

1. carboy

carboy Junior Member

After considering an 07 Classic 2500 HD I'm now focusing on the purchase of a new 07 Classic 1500 reg. cab long box with plow prep. Why? Fuel economy the 8 months of the year I don't need to plow AND it is $6000 cheaper ! I'll be plowing my 300 foot driveway and plowing 17 small city driveways at apartment houses I own. Have I lost my marbles? To me $6000 is a lot of money. I'm slow and easy when I plow. I understand and respect equipment. I plan to keep the truck about 8 years. Think about this and give me your candid thoughts. Thanks.

2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

sounds good to me. my truck has been plowing for eight years. and it didnt come with the plow prep and is a half ton.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Do you tow, haul, work daily with your truck? If so pony up for the 2500HD. Have you looked at the 1500HD?

4. bribrius

good point basher. now that i think about it i think mine is a 1500hd. i know the gvwr is higher than most 1500's but never really looked into the differences.

5. carboy

carboy Junior Member

I use my truck like most people use their car. Basic transportation. I tow a small utility trailer about 10 times a year never more than about a 1500 pound load. Many days I run to the hardware store to pick up small loads of lumber. I have large loads delivered. I take 30 bags of garbage to the dump once per week. I cart my push mower in the summer and my snowblower in the winter. This really is my work truck - not a personal use vehicle. We've got another pick up with toots and whistles (1997 Ford regular cab Flare Side) to travel in (my wife and me). It is my hope the front end of a Silverado 1500 Classic can stand up to careful snowplowing. (The 1500HD only comes crew cab I think, I'm old school, I want a pick-up that looks like a pick-up. Regular cab and eight foot box.)

6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

How much more in fuel are you going to save by going from 2500HD to a 1500. Unless the 1500 is a V6.

7. carboy

carboy Junior Member

I estimate I'll average 5 more miles per gallon . The truck has a 4.8l V8. I drive 20000 miles per year . I estimate my gas savings at $1500 per year. I hear 2500HDs get about 8 city and 13 - 16 highway. That's the biggest thing that scares me about the 2500. I can afford the extra $6000 purchase price but do I really NEED a 2500HD? The 2500HD has 4.10 rear end gears and 6 litre gas engine

8. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Have you thought about getting a diesel?

Also I believe you can order the 2500HD 6.0 gas with 3.73 gears. Which will give you better MPG. Have you consider a F-250 with the 5.4 V8 as you already own one ford.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The answer to your question is yes. It won't have an over abundance of power, but it will suit your needs with a 7-7.5 ft blade. The money saved can also be used for repairs. If you only put the blade on to plow and then take it off for daily driving I don't see a problem. I think a 7-7.5ft light duty plow on a 1/2t is probably the same as putting a 9ft V or 810 Blizzard on a 2500. If you are carefull plowing go with the 1/2t.

10. bribrius

well. im pretty sure mines a 1500hd regular cab long box. and when i looked at my buddys f250 i had almost the exact gvwr (-50 lbs. or so) that he did. mines a 2000 though. not new. it has the 4.8 and no snow prep package. regular alternator not heavy duty. does have a tow package.
    id see if you can find one. im not purposley mean to vehicles but IM NOT NICE EITHER. i only added timbrens so far. (which suck). i use it to drag the boat to the lake three times a week. haul wood, just hauled bunch of steel today, that wasnt lite. still running great 44000 miles. only thing i regret is not having the new six speed tranny that comes in the new silverados and once in a while it has to work hard on steeper inclines with a load but it not that big of a deal so i wouldnt opt for a bigger motor.. 3:73 gears. down the road i might get a three quarter ton if i get more into big commercial lots or i buy big boat. right now i dont need one. i was a little upset today and had the tires spinning from a take off while towing the boat. nothing broke. come to think of it ive had a 8 1/2 foot hd fisher on the truck WHILE i was towing the boat before. (dont ask).

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  11. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

i agree with JD Dave... i know many people that plow with 1/2 tons and i don't see any problem with that. 3/4 is more for large parking lots not for driveways that consist of back blading more then actually pushing snow. I'm not sure how much snow you get a year... but i don't think that a 1/2 would have any problem pushing 6-12 inches of snow. Like you said take it easy and you'll be fine.

12. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

1/2

for what your going to do ,you will probably be more than fine .gas is a concern.but the only thing that concerns me is the 4.8 i don't know how it will handle the usage,plus the resale value on one with a 4.8 is very low,they don't sell very well ! i have seen them set around here for a couple years.

13. carboy

carboy Junior Member

Thanks for all of the feedback. I don't want to spend the extra money for a diesel. I guess I'm "thrifty". I can't order a Classic as that series is now retired - - I have to take what I can find in stock. I keep my work trucks to about 200,000 miles so they usually don't have much resale value therefore the 4.8 litre dosen't scare me too much on that point. Is the 4.8 a good operating engine in general? There is heavy discounting on the Classics right now. I can buy a truck with 7.5 plow for about $21,000.

14. bribrius

like i said. it runs good for me.

15. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

get the 5.3, actually gets 1 mpg more then the 4.8 according to the sticker.... And man, you will have no problems plowing with a half ton. Put a set of timbrens out front and crank up the torsion bars... Tons of guys around here plow with 1/2 tons including me, chevys got the boxed frame so youll have no problems. I plow 100% commercial with my 1500 and it just rocks. And your little bit of towing, you could do that with a corolla, truck wount even know whats behind you.