1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

07' 8611LP slide box spring broke

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by WIPensFan, Dec 24, 2012.

1. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Could someone please give me a step by step way to get into the slide box and fix a broken spring? I should be able to do it even though mechanics is not my strong suit.:dizzy: I've never taken the wing assembly apart so I have no idea where to start.

Also, if this is something fairly complex, should I let my dealer do it? Thanks guys.

2. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Only done it once or twice on that series so anyone correct me if i miss something.
    1. Disconnect hydraulic hoses from cylinder.
    2. Remove pin at base end of cylinder.
    3. Remove socket head cap screw at end of blade.
    4. Slide out wing and slide box assembly.

3. WIPensFan

Thanks for responding, I appreciate it. Sounds simple enough, but I'm sure it will not go smooth. What's the best way to remove the "socket head cap screw"? I'm sure it will be rusted in. I have a air wrench, will that work?

4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

That'll be the toughtst part. You need a 1/2" allen key and and will probably have to use heat on the nut if it's at all rusted. The plow will either have to be in the air or laying upright.

Once its out you will have to remove the pin holding the wing cyl rod in place so you can remove the cyl. There is a roll pin in it, not a cotter. It's a tight squeeze in there, but it has to come out to get the spring out.

It's a relatively simple process with the right tools for the job.

5. WIPensFan

Thanks h2o, what the heck is a "roll pin"?? Also, are you talking about the pin towards the center of the plow holding the cylinder, or a pin inside the box holding the cylinder? I know the one in the center of the plow has a cotter pin holding it, is there something underneath I'm not seeing, or are you saying once the slide box is out I have to remove this roll pin?

6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

It's inside and attached to the wing through the slide box. You have to get the cyl out to replace the spring if its indeed broken.

Lol this is a roll pin........you'll need a punch to get it out of the pin:

[​IMG]

7. WIPensFan

OK, thanks. I'll have to get a punch and a 1/2" allen wrench because I don't have either. Thanks for the help, I will attempt to perform this miracle in the next few days, wish me luck!:mechanic:

8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Good luck! May be a good idea to get to the underside of the nut with some PB or something to get it soaking ;)

9. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Remove hoses at cylinder,remove long pin on cylinder,remove two pins that hold the wing slide box. Slide wing assy out. Very easy to do. No allen key or roll pins to do this.

10. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

His plow is an 07. It has a big allen as the wing stop, not the 2 box stop pins like the earlier ones. And even the earlier models will need the cyl removed to remove the spring from the box.....so yes he will have to remove the roll pin and clevis pin that holds the cyl on the wing.

11. ANA Proscapes

ANA Proscapes Senior Member
    from NH

The pre DD blizzards are much easier to take apart.

12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Actually the newer ones are. At least thats been my experience. Ive had a lot of Blizzards apart in the last few years. Those slide box stops/pins can sieze up sometimes and make it he!!. Ive had the holders red hot before, welding bolts to the pins, using a slide hammer getting the pins to break loose.

13. ANA Proscapes

from NH

I've been blizzards since 02 and haven't had to many issues getting the pins out. If I'm not mistaking you can also just pound the pins into the slide box and then pull them out of the slide box once it's out of the plow.

14. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

They're too long

15. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I've had to heat several, but had a few full size 8611s last year that were worse case scenario. Bad news.

16. WIPensFan

Once the cylinder is off the pin in the center of the plow and the allen srcew is out at the end of the plow, doesn't the whole slide box come out?

17. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Yes it does. Wing, box and cyl as one assembled piece. It may be tight toward the end

18. WIPensFan

Ok, thanks.

19. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Hope this isn't considered a hijack here, but I wanted to show what I was talking about. You can see how hot I had to get the pipe to get the pin to move. I welded a bolt to the pin and used a slide hammer to get it to budge. I probably had 2 hours in this wing alone. Then I had to remove them with the forklift. And this was a working plow I broke down simply for powdercoat/rehab. Not saying every one is this bad.....this was worse case scenario, but it's proof that not every disassembly goes smoothly, especially on the pre DD plows ;)

The allen head stop design is much simpler and hassle free. Worse case you can always just burn the head off and replace the bolt during reassembly if you had problems getting it out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  20. ANA Proscapes

from NH

I've never had one stuck that bad before. That had to have sucked.