1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

07 2500hd

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MaineGuy, Aug 29, 2009.

1. MaineGuy

MaineGuy Junior Member

Newbie here Great Site!!

I just bought an 07 2500HD Regular Cab with 6.0L Gas engine. My inspection of the truck tells me that the truck does NOT have a Plow Prep Package and also has a 4200lb front axle.

My question is can I run a 8' Fisher HD plow on this truck without destroying the front end. I only plan to plow my own driveway (1000') and maybe a few others for extra money. The truck only has 4000 miles on it so it still has warranty on it. A Fisher dealer wouldn't install this plow because the truck does NOT have a 4800lb front.

What can I do to beef up the front end?
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

u have a gasser, dont worry about it... Its all good

Thru a set of timbrens in and crank the t-bars a bit
  3. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Is the truck the new body style or the classic body style?? Also, its 4x4 right?? If its the new body style, the front axle rating is 4500 lbs. Did you find the RPO codes in the glovebox?
  4. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Forst off, welcome to plowsite. you'll soon be addicted.

maybe new torsion bars?
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You won't "destroy" the front axle any more or less whether its rated at 4200 or 4800 as the suspension components are all the same regardless. May have a lighter set of torsion bars on it (being a reg cab) but thats the only difference. And no matter what modifications you do to it you still can't run a plow and keep it under the "legal" axle weight rating, since of course suspension enhancement don't change the manufactures specified rating at build time.

So the bottom line is this. Can it physically carry a plow? Absolutely, guys do it all the time and with plows much heavier than an 8' HD. Can it be done legally in your case? No, and that's why the plow dealer told you he wouldn't mount a plow... strictly due to legality reasons.
  6. MaineGuy

MaineGuy Junior Member

The truck is the New Body Style NOT a classic. As far as the axle rating I was reading it directly off the drivers door and is says the front is rated at 4200lbs. Not sure about the 4500lb number. What RPO code would I be looking for? An yes the truck is 4x4.

I guess it's a dumb question but what different components make an axle rated at 4200 or 4500 or even 4800? Are the CV axle shafts different?

Thanks again guys and yes I am already addicted!
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

B&B's post lays it out pretty well. The components are the same, regardless of the weight rating. Reg cab pickups often have lighter torsion bars then extended cabs, therefore a lighter front axle rating. You will be fine with that plow, and that will be a very nice plow truck.
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Nothing that will allow you dealer to install the plow. You can do it yourself, or find a sucker to do it for you. But the Fvmssa 105 brake certification prohibits a dealer from installing it with-out violating federal statue.
  9. tha_lildude

tha_lildude Member

id say dont be scared to put that plow on. you arent doing anything hugely comercial, you will definatly be fine. my friend has a 07 nbs extended cab with a 8 1/2 foot fisher V on it, and plows big time commercial with it and its still good to this day. just keep up with your maintenance and you should be fine.
  10. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

What makes it different I believe is the torsion bars. I am sorry for confusing you with those numbers though. I think you could swap the bars from the current ones, and put in the 4500lbs or the 4800lbs. If B&B sees this, I believe he knows the codes for the bigger bars.
  11. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Or you could do a search... Its been said how many times?
  12. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Here you go:

I believe the t-bar codes are listed on the RPO in the glove box.

For example, if you have code GL bars, the Left bar would be LGL and the right bar would be RGL. The code XG bars are the strongest bars.
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2009