1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

07 2500hd Duramax 01 western

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Minnesotaroofin, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Minnesotaroofin

Minnesotaroofin Junior Member
    from MN

Just bought a new 2500hd silverado duramax - wondering if anyone could tell me if a western unimount plow off of a 2001 2500 hd will fit onto this model ? Mainly curious about the truck mount frame styles the same - I can get the whole plow setup for $1500.00 just want to know if it will work without any major modifications
  2. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

Nice sounding new truck. Sad to say it will probably be cheaper to buy a whole new ultra mount plow than get the uni mount to work. I have a 06 and had a unimount leftover from my old truck. Got a new ultramount hanging off the front now. Easier and cheaper in the long run. (JMO)
  3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Well, you need a different wiring harness for one, the proir to 02 trucks used a 2 prong plug in the headlights, the 03-up truck have a 3 prong headlight.

As for frames they are basiclly the same. In 03 they started mounting the bumper tabs a little different so to put a uni-mount frame on after 03 requires grinding of the bumper tabs.

It can be done if you don't mind spending a litle time on it. I did made it work on my truck... that is just becasue I am a cheap ass
  4. Minnesotaroofin

from MN

Thanks for the input - I bought a poly pro ultramount 8ft - went pretty smooth so far i have the harness in and the mount on the truck - have not hooked it up to the plow yet hopefully all will be fine.

Couple more questions - GM or western does not recomend putting this plow on an extended cab short box 6.6 - I plan on turning the torsion bars up 3 full turns. How much ballast do i need? should i turn them back in the summer months? Any other suggestions welcome.

One last thing i have the remote controll for inside the cab wired in just wondering if the light on the controll should come on without the plow attached?

The wiring of the harnesses went pretty smooth except for wiring in the blinker and parking lights. had to pull the headlamp assembly actually i could not get it all the way out but just enough - i cant believe replacing a bulb will require pulling the grill and looseing the hidden bolt under the wheel well. not hard just a pain.

The mount mounted perfect
  5. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

I would say to use about 500lbs or so of ballast. Just remember that the ballast is for regaining rear traction, not for 'taking weight off the front end.' Good luck getting any suspension warranty work from GM though.

If it were me, I wouldn't even bother with the t-bars since the D/A sits high anyways. Just get a set of timbrens if you're going to run with ballast.
  6. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Go to Western's web site, they have a quickmatch system that will tell you how much ballast to run with that plow.

I can tell you that with my 8.6 Uni-Mount Steel blade, my ballast is suppose to be 910lbs.

oh yeah, when you hook the plugs togther on the truck and the plow, your controler will light up and your headlights will switch over.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  7. Minnesotaroofin

from MN

I have a short box extended cab Duramax quickmatch does not give an option only durmax they have is for 8ft reg cab -

I did crank torsion bars up 5 full turns passenger side and 7 1/2 full turns driver side i have about 5 1/4 inches clearance from plow mount lowest point. up from 3 1/2 inch clearance with the plow on. Considering curbs are typicially 4 1/2 inches high i should now have no problem pushing snow past the curb without bottoming out.

Driver side of truck sat lower than passenger side with and without the plow on this is the reason one side got 7 1/2 turns on level surface i also measured wheel well clearance.

probably should align it. Have not trieed any ballast yet but think i will try about 450 pounds. i use the box of my pickup almost every day so it would be a pain to load and unload ballast all the time anyone have any suggestions?