1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

07 2500 NBS HD Front End Sag

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by captfudd, Oct 24, 2007.

1. captfudd

captfudd Member

Well I just got back from my plow dealer who told me that there is not enough ground clearance with the front end of the truck only about 14 inches from the frame rails with the truck sitting on level ground you can see a noticeable sag (no plow yet).

Anyone else expeirencing the same or similar problems.

Called the dealer they said bring it in and we will look at it said theres probably nothing they can do but bring it in tomorow! :angry:

2. Lubold8431

Lubold8431 Member

Huh?

I don't get it...

3. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Turn the torsion bars up a couple round and that will get you a little more clearance. Also put a set of Timbrens on the front and that will help with the sag. Your dealer is wrong though about there not being enough room. There are several members on here that have plows mounted on the new body style HDs. Go look in the pic forums.

4. captfudd

captfudd Member

I figured that the torsion bars may need an adjustment, but you'd think that with the heavy suspension etc you wouldnt have this much nose sag already the truck only has 11K miles on it .. you'd think I have the plow on it the way its sagging

5. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

nope. When I got my truck I had to twist the torsion bars myself. From the dealer it was sitting flat with nearly zero tension.

6. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

14" seems like its high to me. more than enough. if i understand this right. front end sag? guess i dont get it. all chevys have the nose dive appearance. timbrens will keep the front end up some. also make the ride worse. dont think they do much good other than keeping truck more level. a leveling kit will bring it up a couple inches. i have timbrens. doesnt sink as much in the front but it isnt like the truck can take more abuse the suspension and drivetrain is what it is. i wonder if thats just all cosmetic bs. if the plow goes on and the skid plate doesnt bottom out on the ground does it matter? when you add ballast it will level it out some. same with bringing up the torsion bars. it raises the truck. but if it isnt bottoming out does it matter? dont mind me im just thinking to myself.

7. captfudd

captfudd Member

the plow dealer said once he adds the mount I'll only have about 8 inches if I Keep it the way it so I guess I'll be making some adjustments ... whats funny is my 04 1500 we didnt have to do any thing with the front end everyone said ur gonna bottom out, or adjust the torsion bars nopa nada rode fine ... we'll see what happens later today I think the nose dive is a little more than normal? pumpkin:

8. dmax08

dmax08 Senior Member

No issues here at all. I have installed 13 new fisher plows this year with no clearance issues on the new chevys and gmc... keep in mind when the trucks are transported to the dealers the t-bars are set pretty low so the can crank the down on the transporter.. sounds to me that the plow dealer needs to understand trucks a little better.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The frame and suspension are the same. It will be quicker for you just to crank the bars yourself and I'm a little bit worried about your plow installer for not knowing this.

10. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Just mounted a Blizzard 810 on the front of our new 07 2500 HD (NBS). Of course I put Timbrens but I haven't even cranked the t-bars yet and the thing carries the plow better than any other GM I have had yet.

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Good to hear.!!!

12. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

You have any pics of that setup?

13. scottL

Have you monitored your trans temp prior to mounting your plow? I had run into a Tran Temp issue with the plow mounted. ( yes, the plow was angled properly... ). I worked through Western, GM Upfitters, Chevy local and Corporate Chevy. They just put a new huge trans cooler in last Friday. Although, It's shown improvements I'm still gathering data.

At 200 degrees ....you'll fry fluids, trans .. that stuff. Not too mention loss of power. Something to keep an eye open for. ( This is for the 2007 New Body Style )

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

So you plowed last winter with an NBS. With what motor, 6L?

15. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Certainly no problems with the plow off. We haven't taken it very far yet. Will keep an eye on that for sure.

16. scottL

Nope. The NBS ( 2500 and above ) is just out for this coming season - no one has actually plowed with it before. I have been a hawk on watching the temp gauges prior to the new plow. Once I got the new plow and drove it home I noticed the condition. Ran some more tests, took measurements, looked at the air flow, made some phone calls and emails and there was a problem.

It's just far easier to address the situation now before a problem and before it snows than to have the truck drop power or fry the trans. Even with warranty that would take a tow and several days out of service.

17. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Good to hear. I had mounted the plow myself so I hadn't really gone anywhere with it. My driver drives it, he lives about 10 miles from here. I told him to load the plow and drive around and watch it all. Will see what he reports over next couple of days.

18. captfudd

captfudd Member

Let us know how you make out with the tranny cooling issue, I had some issues over the summer with the trans getting into the upper 190's pulling a trailer when I had it back to the dealer in august for an oil chnage (free) I brought this up and they said under a load it may get into the 190's on hot days but as long as it doesnt break 200 its operating normal?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Totally correct, that's the way they are designed to run. Although guys don't like to see trans temps on the high side of 190* (including myself), that's just the way they are designed to operate.. It's just like engine temps.. 20 years ago the "normal" operating temp was about 180* or so...todays engines are designed to run hotter, and 210* is considered "normal"....the transmissions of today are no different. The biggest thing I don't like about the hotter running temps of today's engines and transmissions is that if they're already operating at 210* for the engine and 190-200* for the trans, it doesn't give you much "cushion" to prevent an overheat condition.

20. scottL

I'm hoping to get one more run in today .... However, the summary is the newly added trans cooler subtracted on average 25 degrees from the running range. Which ( until I compile my notes I'm going from memory here ) my new normal range is 110-130 and the top with plow over a period of driving topped at 180.

200 trans temp and you'll notice some power loss, 220 your truck is crippled - according to the fine engineers. BTW, Fluid life break down starts at 195. For me I power flush the fluid every spring.

( If you get a chance take a look at how the wind funnel blocks the radiator where the trans first flows through before it hits the tiny trans cooler hidden behind your logo on the front grill. :yow!: )