1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

07 1500 Leafs

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by BigJoeC, Dec 29, 2011.

1. BigJoeC

BigJoeC Member

So I took my 07 1500 4x4 HEMI quad cab w/ 8ft bed to E.A.B Truck Service in Valley View Ohio today. I took it to have 1 leaf added to each side to tightin it up becuase I do glassblock windows and also pull a 3 thousand lb. trailer about once or twice a mounth and I could tell that the leafs weaked and it started to sag. The guy took measurements and noticed that the left side was sitting 1in lower than the right. He said for like $580 he could rebend the left to match the right than add a leaf. He said this would work but than would probably wear out again. I take good care of my truck so instead he suggested that for almost $900 we can put on bran new leaf packs on each side. Not stock tho; upgraded 4 leafs and a helper HD springs. He said these will be perfect and should last another 10-20 years. He ordered them and next friday I'm takin it back in! What do you guys think, has anyone else had this problem?

2. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

Now to me that VERY HIGH. I have a 1500 and I got my leaf springs and installed them myself in just a few hours. I think I paid just over 500. for the both of them with added helper springs and or leafs.One of mine was broke is why I had to change mine.I'm sure you have a leaf spring shop around you that can build them for you. We have a place here called A 1 Spring. I've seen some of there work and boy was it nice and not over priced

3. BigJoeC

BigJoeC Member

Hummm...I'll check it out

4. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

If the $900 is installed it's a good price. Sure you could buy them for 5-600 and do it yourself but a shop needs to make money to survive and he is being fair

5. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

I guess it comes down too are you willing to pay 100 dollars a hour or more or do the work yourself. I don't make 100 + a hour so I did the work myself in 3 hours or so. Just my 2 cents

6. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

It comes down to time, tools and know how.I would do the install myself as well but i can. For a drop off and pick it up price it's not bad.

7. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Ever think quality might cost more ??? From what I can recall some of the leaf springs of the 1500 Dodges are not arched but compound arches making a W shape. If the Spring shop is steering him towards a new set there is normally a reason. Perhaps in the long run they feel the heavy duty virgin pair is better suited for the truck which is typically hauling more than empty.

Personally I like shops which think down the long road rather than taking short cuts. To me seems like they are a reputable repair facility. You should think about HD shocks too.

8. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

that place is less than 5 min from me im not too impressed with them theyre kind of expensive. definitely dont get springs rebent that wont last. if i were you id look into alcans http://www.alcanspring.com/

9. BigJoeC

BigJoeC Member

Random ya the guy told me if he rebends them and adds springs and just keep building them up, then when empty its gonna be tight and ride like a tank. So thats why I'm going all new packs. Daffmobile you hit it right on the head with that comment! Thanks guys!