1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

06 turn signal not working

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mulchmonkey2000, Feb 4, 2011.

1. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

i need some help with my 2006 f250. In the middle of a storm the other night, my rear left turn signal/brake light stopped working. The parking light works. I first changed the bulb and that didn't work. Then i switched out the socket from left to right and still had the same problem on the left. (the one that was in the left worked in the right side) I"m not sure where to check next. I can't find any loose wires or fuses. The front is working, it just flashes fast b/c of the rear not working. Any ideas???? I wanna get this fixed asap so i don't get slammed in the rear. :help:

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Check and see if the left turn works on your trailer light plug. When looking at the 7 round plug, it will be the spade furthest to the left at about 9 o'clock. Are you getting power to the turn signal socket itself on the light housing?

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Some years have had problems with the trailer plug. The wire harness junction plug could be bad. Ice hangs on the wires causing it to stress the junctions. Crud and salt spray gets into it too.

4. DeereFarmer

Thats what I'm thinking. Maybe your multifunction switch is bad, but I doubt that. My '99 did the same thing as yours mulchmonkey and went away after a few days before I had time to dig into it.

5. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

I had a similar issue to this several years ago. Someone mentioned to me to check the wiring at all 4 corners to ensure it hadn't been pinched during assembly. Personally, I was thinking that if it had been, it would have been an issue since day one, but it took several years for it to finally wear through.

If I recall correctly, it was pinched between a piece of sheet metal on the left front, between the fender sheet metal and the inner plastic wheel well. Pulled the wire out, cut out the pinched section, put in a weather sealed butt type connector and problem solved.

Hope it's this simple for you!

6. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

I managed to find the problem. I was focused on the trailer wiring for the longest time with no results, so i moved up to the front of the truck. I followed the signal from the turn signal switch to wiring harness under the hood. Somehow where the wiring goes down to the frame it must have rubbed against the bolt for the shock and broke the wire. The weird part was that that section in wrapped in heat wrap b/c of the exhaust being right there. Anyway, there was no hole or anything in the heat wrap. It was just black from what i thought at first was burnt from the exhaust, but now i'm guessing that's where it was rubbing. THanks for all the help and suggestions!!! :waving:

7. DeereFarmer

Glad you got it working!