1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

06 Ram squats with Blizzard 810

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by 06slvrctd, Nov 2, 2007.

1. 06slvrctd

06slvrctd Member

Hey guys, as the title says my 810 squats the front of my Ram CTD pretty good. I have not added ballast yet, but no plow the truck has a noticable rake to the front. I was thinking about a leveling kit, Timbrens, or possibly both. You guys have any other suggestions or are these the way to go?
  2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Thats some major weight on the front of that truck with the Cummins and a 810...I would throw a crapload of ballast in the back and timbrens.
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Ditto. Timbrens....
    Just make sure the weight is behind the rear wheels and make sure it stays there.

For the amount of weight I would start with about #700 -#800lbs
  4. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i agree the other two,

i have a 8611 on a gmc 5500 4X4 and with salter in or out loaded or empty it'll put the truck on the bump stops on the front, they are just HEAVY plows

HAVE YOU CRANKED THE TORSION BARS? if not run 'em in tight and back 'em off in the summer, you should not have to realign because you are actually keeping the ride height the same. on the same token i am not sure if an 06' has torsion bars i am not that familiar with new dodges all of mine are older but i do know they went to a Independent Front Suspension i think in '03
  5. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Dodge 3/4 and 1 ton do not have torsion bars.

You can up date springs to heavier stock springs or aftermarket springs to help with the front end. Also the day star and other leveling kits work great. Timbrens IMO are just a load stop and eliminate suspension travel when loaded.

Check your spring codes and look at the end #'s. Heavier springs are 987 on the front right and 988 on the front left.

6. 06slvrctd

06slvrctd Member

Thanks for the help so far. I was figuring Timbrens would be helpful but wanted some other opinions. I know I need to add ballast also.

Hey Jerre, I checked my spring codes and they end in 983 on the right and 984 on the left. Would you recommend upgrading these first? My dad works at a Dodge dealer so getting the springs shouldn't be a problem. He thought I would have the heaviest springs already with the Cummins but wasn't sure.
  7. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

good post
  8. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

I don't recommend the use of any kind of urethane spacer like the Daystar ones with Heavy snowplows and diesel engines...If your going to do a leveling kit...Use the steel 2" bolt in suckers. I just got a set from Hell Bent Steel for 85.00 shipped. however, it will still squash the spring when you lift the plow so I would look into heavier springs.
  9. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I have a set of Kore HD srings in my 05 Cummins truck. They handle the 810 fine with ballast. The Kore HD leveling kit came with a set of extended Bilsteins, springs, and drop blocks for the sway bar. They keep the nose up for daily driving and dont ride like a 78 f250.

What ever you end up with dont forget to re-set the push beam height.
  10. 06slvrctd

06slvrctd Member

The Kore kit sounds nice, do you remember how much that ran. Also my push beam currently with no plow is 12 1/2" to the center of the pin hole. Is that about right? Looks to be easy enough to adjust once I upgrade the suspension..........
  11. itzkcatz

itzkcatz Member
    from CT

Can u please post pics of the plow up and down?. Im looking to put a plow on my 04 ctd quad cab. How heavy is the blizzard 810? Im looking at a curtis snowpro 3000 8 footer
  12. 06slvrctd

06slvrctd Member

I believe the Blizzard is close to 1000 lbs.

Here is plow down.............

13. 06slvrctd

06slvrctd Member

And here is plow up, also there is no ballast in the bed in these pics. You can probably see why I want to beef up the front end. There is a definite nosedive even with the plow down.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

yeah that def dives alot, lol id say try the timbrens first see how well they work then think about bigger springs iof you still want more.
  15. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

No No No, I'd do it the other way around. Fix the problem instead of just masking it. The HD springs are the answer to help as well as still have a decent ride.... Riding around on glorified bumpstops isn't much fun.
  16. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

I don't know about the dodges except when I had a 1/2 ton. All I know is your gonna want to put your ballast in atleast before you get going, or you'll be going to get new ball joints when you go pick up those heavy duty springs.
  17. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

All the 3rd gen's have ****** balljoints. Seems they like to start getting bad around 75K. Heavier springs won't accelerate their wear at all. Hanging that 1000lb plow up front will speed it up plenty though.

About 1000 lb of ballast and the 987/988 springs that Jerre suggested and you'll be set.
  18. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with Johnny. I would get the bigger springs and timbrens both. And still alot of ballast!;)
  19. 06slvrctd

06slvrctd Member

Alright guys thanks for the help. Will the heavier springs level off the front any with the plow off, or just not squat as much when I lift the plow.
  20. Snowguy01

Snowguy01 Senior Member
    from Erie

I had the same problem I went out and got a self leveling kit for mine took 2.5 hrs to put in and my problem went away I have the same truck. with the same plow. hope it helps