1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

06 Ram 1500, 5.7 hemi

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by White Gardens, Nov 4, 2011.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

It has 100k miles. Good price, but I'm not sure if it's a good truck. Would be putting a light plow on it, many for driveway work and light commercial.

Anyone had any experiences with them?

2. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

quad cab short bed? definatly a good truck with powerful motor. Ive heard though that the 06's had some issues. to be honest i cannot remember what it was, something with the motor. but with 100k and shes still running strong, might as well be a good plow rig.
  3. White Gardens

Quad Cab.

Couple of things caught my eye, such as the color, size, interior (few power options, but nothing fancy) brake controller, Auto 4wd.

And the biggest factor..... I can actually reach over the side of the bed of the truck and grab things close to the cab!

I had read about pre-06's having major mechanical malfunctions with the motor, such as blowing them up. I talked to the dealer who is selling it, and he says that he has never had one come back with that issue out of about 60-70 he's sold, and that anything you read on-line is only a small percentage of how many were actually made.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Front end issues, crappy seat covers. Great trucks for the buck.
  5. White Gardens

Could care less about the seats, front end issues can't be any worse than my S-10. If small mechanical issues are it, than that's fine, I work on all my vehicles so I usually save a lot of coin in that department.

Just seeing if anyone had any major issues with them.

6. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

I've got an '07 quad cab short bed, 80K, and no major issues ever. Front shocks, and had a bearing go bad in my front left side which got so hot it blew the tire up, but that's been it. And the bearings are sealed, so you can't grease them. They're self contained. All in all, I have no complaints, it's been a very good truck.
  7. My07Brute

My07Brute Senior Member

front shocks are complete garbage, if you plan to plow def. plan on looking into the Bilstien leveling/shock kit.

Other than that, I would also look into a chip (Superchips) and disable the MDS (8 cylinder to 4 cylinder crap if your gonna plow)
  8. White Gardens

Wondered about the eco- 4 cylinder aspect of it. Test driving it, it seemed ok as it kicks back into all 8 as soon as you get on the gas. It's a good feature for all the estimating and running around I do in the landscaping season.

9. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't worry about the MDS either. It turns itself on and off as needed.
  10. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

I use the tow/haul mode button to defeat the MDS when plowing. they can have some power steering issues if you don't use the right fluid....my '04 uses ATF for power steering. Also had a switch go bad that turns on the 4wd light....4wd still works fine just the light doesn't always go on...no biggie since it has a real shifter.

Love the space, power, sound, and the weight.
  11. White Gardens

Thanks for all the replies guys.

The new/used truck has been put on hold for now. I didn't get a couple of accounts that was going to help pay for it over the winter.

Still might look for something soon, but not a huge priority. I'm kinda leaning towards the dodge (even though it's a dodge:eek:) as I like the size, room in the cab, and most importantly the fact that I can almost reach inside the bed from over the sides.

Seems like all the new trucks such as ford or chevy, you can't reach over the sides very easily and during the landscaping season, I like to be able to grab what-ever I need at will.