1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

06 lost heat

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by A&M Snowplowing, Dec 22, 2010.

1. A&M Snowplowing

A&M Snowplowing Senior Member

anyone have problem with the heater cores in the
    air boxes goin bad. dodge replaced one in my truck back in feb of this year and it already craped out and had to get another one today. anyone else have this problem

2. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

The actual heater core??? I know the selector door is an issue. Mine went out a couple years ago. Fan was going strong but nothing happened when you changed from defrost to floors or vents...no air came out of it.

3. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Ha! The 02-08 Dodges are notorious for heating issues. Been there, done that in mine. It's either the heater core or the doors behind the dash. The doors are cheap and the plastic tabs break.
    First check your heater core lines, if they are both hot at operating temp. the core is ok. If only one is hot, the core is plugged. Try flushing the core, Prestone has a flush fluid at Wal-Mart for like $3 that worked good for me with the use of a graden hose and compressed to flush and backflush the core. Make sure you flush in both directions.
    If that's not it, it's the doors behind the dash. It's a $700-$800 job at the dealer or check here:
    www.heatertreater.net and do it yourself like I did without having to remove the entire dash. There are youtube and the support and directions are excellent. 1/4 of the cost and probably 3-4 hours. They are good quality doors!

4. A&M Snowplowing

its was the core that went 2 times. and after i got the truck back the dealer charged me for it when the part was still under warranty. after fighting with them i got my money back for the warranty but they charged me 80 dollars more cause of all my after market stuff but failed to put any of that or factory stuff on right. they left wires out from the factory, greased the seats/panels screws r fallin out of my dash onto the floor. so disappointed with dodge dealers in ohio

5. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Wow, I would be very frustrated with that type of sevice too especially with what they charge.
    You definitely should not be going thorugh heater cores. It's just a mini-radiator, no electrical wiring or mechanical parts to fail.. They weren't leaking in the cab at all were they?

6. A&M Snowplowing

nope nothin leaked in the cab. come to think it really didnt work that well since it got cold. funny thing is my buddie has a 06 cummins and its doin the same thing. i find that weriod i know the doors are a problem but idk

7. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Back to square one......check the heater hose lines. At operating temp they should both be hot. If they are (which they should be with a new core) then its the doors. It sounds like to me that the dealer you used doesn't really know what they are doing
    If doors, look at this: www.heatertreater.net. They will help you diagnose it. Do it yourself for a couple hundered dollars or $700-$800 for the dealer to do it but the dealer will use the same junk Mopar doors. If that route, it would be worthwhile to buy these doors and instruct the dealer to install them.
    Any vibration with the heater cranked?? Heat different temps on each side of the dash?? No heat at all?? Defrost works but vents or floor doesn't??? Need more information to diagnose properly. Again, that website is very good and their support was excellent. I did Mode door 1 and blend door in my 03 Ram.