1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

06 GMC 4wd question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by lakeeffect, Feb 15, 2007.

1. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

have a '06 GMC 2500HD with push button 4X4. Had a problem with my transfer case a month or so ago, dealer rebuilt it and said syncros were bad. Lately when I have been plowing it seems like sometimes it is not in 4wd. By that I mean when in 4H, when wheel starts to slip all 4 should spin and give traction, sometimes it does and sometimes just acts like it is 2wd and I have no traction. Any thoughts or suggestions??

2. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Part time 4 wheel drive systems, like on the GM's only gives you equal power to both drivshafts, so if you have open diffs in the front and back you will only have 2 wheel drive, 1 front 1 back. Now if you have a locking axle like most GM's do in the rear, you will have 3 wheel drive.
    See if your truck has a G80 on the build sticker. This is GM's code for locking rear axle.

3. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

I do have locking rear. Is this system different than Fords? My first GM product since the 80's.