1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

06 F350 tranny problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by redplowman, Nov 14, 2011.

1. redplowman

redplowman Member

Just want a few opinions before I take it to the shop. The truck has 94000 miles on it. A couple of days ago the tranny started shifting incorrectly. The truck has a slight shutter when I take off then smooths out quickly. If I try to accelerate hard it will just wind out. It has a couple of times wind out just going down the road. If I drive carefully and let the tranny do it's job it will most of the time shift fine. Today my tow haul light started flashing. I think I have covered it as much as I can remember. Wait, one more thing, the tow/haul button has not been working. Let me know what you think, I appreciate your opinion!

Thanks

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I would take it to a tranny shop so they can read the flashing tow/haul mode light and go from there. Everything is computerized so without a scanner your kind of stuck taking it somewhere.

3. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

My uncle and I had tons of trany problems on both of our 05 superduty's. If you find any metal in the fluid make sure you change both filters external and in the pan. They were only changing one filter on mine and I kept on having problems finally ford bought it back (sweet deal for me) big hassle at the time. They put a whole unit in my uncles and it has been fine since. Good luck.

4. 07F-250V10

07F-250V10 Senior Member

Your transmission is toast. This is exactly what happened to my ranger. My tow haul light flashed and i could accerlerate fast or it would just slip. I had to get a complete trans rebuild.

5. A.M.Canfora

A.M.Canfora Member

when the tow/haul light starts flashing its the warning that something is wrong with the trans and it needs to be scanned for codes. take it to get checked out asap

6. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

I am going to go with torque converter is taking a shlt

7. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass Member
    from CT

sounds like solenoid issues to me (this caused wear to the clutches)

does it shift fine in certain gears, or is it all gears?

8. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

try this, next time you take off or up to speed and it starts shaking, apply the brake as you are giving it gas. this will lock out the torque converter. If it smooths out , its going bad.

9. redplowman

redplowman Member

Well I appreciate all the info. When I posted this thread I was 75 miles away from home. I am sorry to say I didn't make it home under the power of my own truck. The truck is in the shop and I will give all the updates on the condition and corrections made to the transmission to try to help others going forward. At this point it don't look good but one thing I'm sure of is when it's finished it will be better than new. If you all have any suggestions of improvements to make on this transmission during a rebuild shoot them my way! Thanks again for all your help!