1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

06 F150 fuel milage towing

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Mark13, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

About a month ago some friends and I went to black river falls, wi for an atv trip. We took my truck (98 chevy k1500) and a trailer and an 06 f150 and a trailer. He drove quite a bit quicker then me but didn't check his fuel milage on the trip and says he got the same fuel milage on the trip as I did. I got 14.8mpg on the way home towing at about 60mph, I got 11.2 mpg on the way up keeping up with him (75mph average).On the trip I was towing 2 atvs on a trailer with a flip up rear gate, one atv in my bed and me and a friend in the truck and all gear and a full cross over tool box. He had one atv in his bed, 3 on a trailer with no gate on the rear, 4 guys in the cab (crew cab, short bed) and another atv in the back of his truck. His truck is a stock 5.4, 4x4, and has 265 tires on I'm unsure of the gearing, he pulled at 70-80mph most of the time. What's you guy's guess on the fuel milage for him on the trip?

2. Indy

Indy Senior Member

less, it sounds like, more drag, more weight and he was out front, had to be less

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The tail gate on the trailer was you undoing. Plus Ford's just a better truck all around, HAr HaR hAr

4. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I say around 13 mpg my uncle have one he get 18-20 mpg on highway empty. He actual drive very light than I do.

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I would have had the trailer with no gate but he took it. I had our trailer (one with no gate) all checked out and ready to go minus being loaded and they came over while I was gone and loaded their 3 atvs on it. Their atvs are narrower then mine and my friends who rode with me so we had to take thier trailer (with the nonremovable gate) so I could pull my atv and my friends. I didn't trust them to pull my atv and his. :D I asked them if I could take thier gate off but they didn't want to do it since it was way more work then ours which is just 2 bolts. It all went smoothly, for being a last minute deal and getting stuck with a trailer I didn't want. The fuel milage thing is going to go out the window on the next trip, I think the kid with the ford is selling it and getting a jetta and I will have to pull all the atvs next trip. Unless we can convice him that his jetta will look good towing 5-8 atvs. :)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  6. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

I get about 13, maybe 14 if it is flat on the highway towing the quads with the trailer with the gate up.

But to be honest, I basically get 13 all the time no matter what I do or how I drive. The only time I get 15+ is with a empty truck on the freeway with the cruse set for long periods of time.

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

There was a few pretty good up hill pulls on this trip, one I remember being probably a half mile long at least that even kicked my truck out of o/d to keep 65 (rare). And he drives it like a race car.

I don't figure he got the almost 15mpg that I got comming back but I was just curious on an estimated figure.