1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

06 f-550 with dump for plowing?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by dviegas, Sep 8, 2008.

1. dviegas

dviegas Junior Member

I'm lookint at an '06 f-550 diesel with 9' dump. thinking of using it for plowing, what do you think?

2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

i think itll work lol. might be a little tight if you do residentials. but that truck will definitely move some snow. does it already have a blade? my girlfriends uncles has a 550 with a 9' MC. its more trouble than its worth if doing driveways, but on their commercial lots its perfect.

3. dviegas

dviegas Junior Member

no plow yet

it does not have a plow on it. i will only have about 5 driveways to do. they are all pretty wide and have large parking areas. otherwise i will be plowing 10-12 car parking lots.

4. dviegas

dviegas Junior Member

the truck is not 4x4, will that be a problem? I will always have bags of salt in the back.

5. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

their 550 is only 2wd and never had a problem. but it also had 3 yards of sand in the back

6. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

personally i wouldnt want 2wd but we also get more snow in ny so you might be alright but thats just my personal opinion. other than that it will be fine for plowing, i wouldnt want to do any drive ways with it especially if having to back out into a road, i dont even like doing it in a 350 pickup.

7. Marek

Marek Senior Member

Where can you get tire chains at for the 450- 550 trucks ? I have a couple of them , in large areas they are fine as long as you load them down with weight. We will be leaving these trucks on a large job this yr so I was thinking about putting chains on them as they will not be on the road.

8. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

try awdirect.com i think i remember seeing tire chains in there and some were to fit wreckers and semi's so im sure they might have the size for yea. idk if i would want to plow a parking lot with chains depending on the surface of it, its possible it could get damaged..