1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

06 F-350 MVP will be here Friday

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by nailerdog, Nov 30, 2005.

1. nailerdog

nailerdog Member
    from WI

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your input on a couple of previous posts.

I decided on the Western MVP to go on my 06 SD CC PSD SRW. The truck also has the factory 20 inch wheels and has a 2 inch leveling kit installed in the front.

The plow will be here Friday. I have a dealer that's close that gave me an super deal (about the same as Tim Wallace) so I kept it local. I plan to do the installation myself this weekend.

I downloaded both the frame and electrical installation instructions. I noticed that because my truck has cab marker lights I need an extra 61185 harness.

Any other special installation considerations that I should be aware of? Where are the best locations for the solenoid and relays?

Thanks in advance.

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

If your buying that plow new it darn well better come with the iso system, the 61185 is for realy harness'. In fact, unless that truck has glass bulb headlights you have to put the iso system on it because it has HB13 bulbs.

3. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Junior Member

I would recommend having the plow installed where u buy it. Its worth the $350 for the install. I just installed a western pro today ... was not fun !!

4. nailerdog

nailerdog Member
    from WI

Crash,

This is a new plow.

I came to this conclusion after reading Western's lit # 67802.

It states on page 2 " For dual replaceable bulb type HB-5 headlamps use Box
    # 66640-1 Headlamp kit 12 pin MVP and 63421 plug-in harness HB-5-A with park and turn harness kit.

The next paragraph states: Any vehicle with cab lights will need a second 61185 installed in the cab marker/park light circuit.

I notice that this document I downloaded is dated September 2002. Maybe there's a newer document that will come with the plow?

5. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

It will come with all installation instructions. I got mine installed and out the door for $4800 or $4900. I can't remember.

plow 2a (Small).JPG

6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

thats for the old realy system, you should be getting the iso system, if not then ***** and get it with the deal.

7. nailerdog

nailerdog Member
    from WI

Thanks Crash and Playboy,

Looks like my pre-study of downloaded instructions is just causing more trouble than it's worth. I'll make sure it has the new electricals prior to loading it up.

I paid $4,100 + tax cash and carry.

8. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

So your looking at about $4350 and a bunch of head achs...LoL still a pretty good deal. I'll take better pics of my plow and truck when i take my plow out of my garage.

9. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Dam I just noticed that you can see a good shot of the crappy tread the stock tires have in my pic.....

10. nailerdog

nailerdog Member
    from WI

Plow showed up a day early. It is an ISO module so the concern about the extra harness was premature. Got most of the plow assembled tonight. I was supprised at how unassembled it was. Got a couple hours in to it tonight, expect to finish the plow assembly tomorrow AM and then do the truck side on Saturday.

Picts to follow.

11. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

After seeing my plow on my truck I thought to myself, I could of done that. With all the wiring harnesses and stuff there really wasn't much to splice into. The mounting seemed pretty easy and best of all it would of been a new plow going on a new truck so i wouldn't have gotten real dirty. The reason I let the dealer do it was for the warranty and the fact that i don't have much experience with the workings of a plow.

Good luck and we will be waiting for pics.....

12. nailerdog

nailerdog Member
    from WI

All went pretty good with the install. The plow itself was pretty easy. The truck side on a Super Duty was less than easy mostly do to the directions provided. I have about 10 hours invested to complete it. If I was to do another it would probably be 2-3 less. Lots of first timer mess ups.

Funny thing, first time I put the power to it it worked as advertised! I had a small leak, tightened the coupling and we were good to go.

We got a couple inches of snow today so I got to experiment a little. Still learning the controler, seems ok.

I need to figure out the fine adjustments of the plow frame yet. Drove the truck with the plow on it tonight, the lights suck. Any ideas on good upgrades?

Picts to follow

13. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

I agree the lights suck. I was adjusting mine yesterday trying to raise them up a bit so i can see further at night. I might add some driving lights to the frame. I just don't know if i want to drill holes on the top light bar.

14. nailerdog

nailerdog Member
    from WI

Someone must make a better sealed beam?

15. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Possibly. I don't like the look of it any ways. Meyer has nice lights. Changing the lights shouldn't be that hard. You can make bulb connectors and splice them into the Westerns set up with quick connects in case you need to remove the set up. I just haven't had time to see what fits. The Western light case in held on by the bolt under neath it. I'm not sure how the Meyer lights are held on. This was going to be a Fall project that never got started.

16. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

If I was going to upgrade the entire assembly, I would go with the Boss HID, except that I could buy a spare older plow for what they want for those babies....:dizzy:

17. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Yeah their about $900-$1100. I checked :(

18. fordplowdude

fordplowdude Member

Congrats....Can't wait to see pics!

19. JUSTBE

JUSTBE Member

Hey Nailerdog, where in WI are you?