1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

06 F-250 test drive, first time 3/4 ton

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by lagwagon, Aug 8, 2011.

1. lagwagon

lagwagon Member

Test drove an 06 F-250 XLT V8with 170,000KM's, transmission seemed smooth except... is it normal for when selecting reverse to feel a very slight bump in these trucks or should it be just as smooth as sliding into drive?

Thanks!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Lot of miles in 5 years about 110,000 miles.

3. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Normal to feel a slight bump in Reverse and when shifting to drive.

4. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

thats prolly just the driveshaft rolling and the gears "clunking"

5. lagwagon

lagwagon Member

So nothing to worry about then? I'll have to test drive another F-250 to compare. First time.

Thanks.

6. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

The 5 speed torqueshift goes into reverse quick, not like the mushiness of the older 4 speed 4r100. Gotta be careful plowing with them too, and make sure you're at a complete stop and no wheels are spinning when you put it in reverse, whereas the 4r100 was a lot more forgiving. They're the worst when the truck is cold and the engine is idling high, my V10 damn near chirps the tires when you put it in reverse cold, done it since new, and it has 119k on it now with no tranny issues to date.

7. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

Miles is a bit high my 00 powerstroke got 150k on it and the slight bump when selecting shifts is normal

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I drive them all, that's normal. A hesatation going into reverse is a problem. Even then, it takes a long time for the transmission to die.