1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

06 F-150 Suspension

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by rydzewski, Jan 16, 2009.

1. rydzewski

rydzewski Member

I’m looking for some more input on how to beef up my suspension on my 2006 F-150 XLT super cab short box. I already ordered a 2 inch lift kit for the front and I’m going to be purchasing the Z type heavy duty coil springs for the front. My question is involving the rear suspension. When I was plowing for a local landscaping company I was using a 2005 GMC 3500 w/ a dump bed. I recall the owners of the truck talking about bringing it in and having the rear springs tightened(or something of that sort)? Would this be a good idea or would anything else be good to do for my suspension? I’ve been looking at the timberens and might be purchasing them for the front of the truck. Let me know what you guys would do!

I plan on getting a 7' 6" western pro plow and a low profile spreader.

Thanks

- Ben

2. svt2205

svt2205 Member

While your talking to the parts guy, see if you could add the springs from a heavy duty payload package truck onto your XLT. I have a feeling the answer is no, because I think the spring and spring pearch is wider on the HD. But your parts guy, if he's good, will answer that question for you. If not, find yourself a local spring shop and have them make up a set that will work with your truck.

I would suggest you hold off on the leveling kit, with the Z code front springs. You'll end up raising the front too much and you'll experience trouble with your CV joints and ball joints. They'll be overly stressed due to the extreme angles they'll be running at. Besides, a leveling kit won't do a thing for enchancing front end performance. They just give you more room for bigger tires.

3. svt2205

svt2205 Member

Possible spring shops in the Rochester NY area

thruway spring on mt read blvd or Fulton Springs, in Fulton There cheap and Fast

I posted over on the Mom's Racing website (heads up pro tree Mustang racers down at NYIRP) and these 2 places are what these guys offered up.

Hope this helps

4. rydzewski

rydzewski Member

I was at thru way spring and they said they we're the ones who said i should get the leveling kit. I didn't tell them that I was going to get the plow package springs. They said my original springs should hold a 700 lbs plow with no problem... I find that hard to believe… I’m going to the Ford parts center to order the springs. If when I install the springs the truck level’s it’s self off I will defiantly hold off on the leveling kit.

5. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

I have an 06 F150 supercab with a fisher 7.5 MM2 plow on it. All i did was add a $100 dollar leveling kit and about 500 lbs of ballast and the truck handles the plow quite well (about 1-1.5 inches of nose drop when raising the plow). Just a little food for thought before you drop big $$$$ on new springs. Good luck, Roy

6. rydzewski

rydzewski Member

yea that's what everyone has been saying. I have the leveling kit. I'm going to just do that and if i need the springs i'll add them later. you guys think timberens are a good investment?

7. BKFC255

BKFC255 Senior Member

yes get get the timberens. I would also get the 2" lift instead of the 2.5. i got the 2.5" kit and it is great when the truck is empty, but i also use the bed and as soon as you put anything in the back it leans so I am not sure what i am going to do in the rear i really dont need air bags but i dont know if the timberens will do what i need to do in the back. any ideas? between ballast and snow thrower and salt in the back and what ever goodies I have in the tool box my. it always has the lean in the back. the truck will hold the plow fine as long as you have the min 3750 front end just dont go riding around with 5 adults and the plow on and you will be good. but who goes plowing with 5 adults. just take the plow off when not plowing and you take care of most of the unnessary wear and tear on the truck.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  8. beaugross

beaugross Member

I have the 2'' spacers in the front of my '04 F-150 and the Timbren kit. I have a Boss Power V 8'2'' RT3 on the front of it. It handles it fine. I just don't carry the plow around on it all week waiting for the next storm. Just a preventive measure to avoid premature failure of my front end compnents.