1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

06 F-150 Supercab - Anyone using a Sport Duty 7'6" ??

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by 66 BADBOY, Feb 21, 2008.

1. 66 BADBOY

66 BADBOY Member

Looks like the only Boss plow that will fit on a 2006 Supercab F-150 6.5ft box is the Sport Duty 7'0" of 7'6". If I go with a Boss Sport, it will be the 7'6". Does anyone have any experience with this plow?

The only other one that will apparently not overload this truck is the Sno Way 26 (and from what I hear, maybe the 29 but I haven't heard for sure from Sno Way directly). From the pound numbers I've heard from every other manufacturer as being too high for this truck, I personally don't think the Sno Way 29 will work. Its too heavy at 600lbs. But the 26 is just a little over the border at 470 lbs.

So I think my safest bet is to go with the Boss Sport Duty, and I'm just wondering how they have been working for everyone. I'd rather go steel, but the truck won't hold the weight. The FGAWR for this type of truck is 3750 lbs.

If I could afford a 3/4 ton, it would be a close race between the Boss Super Duty 7'6", the Blizzard 760 HD, and the Snow Dogg EX 75.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

You can get away with a 7'6'' super duty on that truck. A few guys around here have your setup and are running7'6'' standards and supers on there truck.
  3. 66 BADBOY

66 BADBOY Member

Maybe I'll start another thread with the Standard or Super Duty in the title to grab their attention.

The reason I started this thread was because I called Boss directly, and they said although the standard and super will bolt up fine, the truck is not rated for it. Which will cause unsafe handling and liability for the truck owner, as well as the expected extreme premature wear on the truck.

The Sport Duty weighs around 421 lbs without mounting equipment, and they said that weight was near the borderline of being too much, but was rated as OK. Anything heavier, and the truck can't take it.
  4. JK-Plow

JK-Plow Senior Member

04 F-150 Sport Duty

I had a 7 1/2 Sport Duty on my 04 F-150 Super-cab FX4. No problems with it. But I sold the truck and put the plow on my Jeep. Western makes a midweight 7 1/2 plow and Fisher has the LD 7 1/2 plow that fit the F-150. Curtis is another plow that will work on the F-150. It's not just Boss and Snoway.
  5. Allamand

Allamand Junior Member

I have a 04 F-150 Crew Cab with the 7' Sport plow. This will be my 2nd winter using it. Had to have the main ram changed over as the plow was too light and thus the ram wouldn't drop the plow. That happened to another sport plow the Dealer said.

Besides that, it works alright for my driveway. I had a V-plow Boss before this, but rolled the Dodge Ram 3/4 ton it was on. I know I could move more snow faster then I can now, but with time, the Sport gets it done.
  6. Indy

Indy Senior Member

I have a 7'-6" Super Duty on the same size Chevy and added Timbrens on the front end and it works fine.

Good Luck
  7. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

I have the boss 7.6 sport on my 04 F-150 and it handles it just fine. Actually I wish I had gone with a standard duty because I'm now sure the truck would have handled that just fine. My plow moved a ton of snow today, it is defiantly a good plow for a F-150, but depending on how things go this year I may get a jeep and put it on there and get a bigger blade for the F-150, or sell the F-150 and get a 350 with a VXT and put the sport on a jeep for drives.
  8. 66 BADBOY

66 BADBOY Member

After calling lots of plow manufacturer headquarters, I am finding out from all of them that the 2004 and earlier F-150s had a higher rating FGAWR than the 2005 and up. The 2006 Supercab 6.5ft box has a rating of 3750lbs. That is only enough to BARELY handle the Boss Sport Duty. Standard Duty, forget it on the 2005 and up. The standard duty can mount fine, and will work, but its all about overloading for driving correctly and proper handling. Basically what they are telling me, I'd be in huge trouble if I got in an accident with that plow on that truck.

So its off to look for an F-250 with a Boss Super Duty.
  9. boo-ya!

boo-ya! Junior Member
    from Maine

I'll likely be putting a 7'6" on a 2000 Tundra for next season and just wanted to say some of the info in this thread was helpful.....being a newbie and all
  10. 66 BADBOY

66 BADBOY Member

Hey booyah,

All I can say is call the manufacturer headquarters of the plow company you will be looking at, NOT just the dealer. The reasons plows aren't rated for certain trucks is for safety reasons. A brief look at the regulations are listed on the Blizzard site, but I cut/pasted them here:

We evaluate our product to ensure that the vehicle continues to comply with all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) and our product development process. These standards include: FMVSS 105 Suspension, handling and braking, 108 Lighting standards, 204 Crash testing of the steering column, 208 Crash testing for occupant safety, 212 Crash testing for windshield integrity, 301 Fuel systems in a crash.

We contract with independent sources which utilize facilities approved and used by the OEM's and the United States Government.

So to me, make sure whatever plow you choose will fit your exact truck's setup. Just trying to share what I've learned so far. Hope this helps.
  11. JK-Plow

JK-Plow Senior Member

04/08 front end not too light.

The 04 to 08 F150 will work with the SportDuty. The Ford Dealers will tell you no, unless you get heavy duty XL or XLT, with 8 ft. bed. The heavy duty can handle up to an 8 ft. SuperDuty plow. If you go with the 6 cylinder or smaller v-8 engine, I have heard the front end is not as strong. I had an FX4, with 3900 front end. My 08 has the same front end. I didn't put the plow on it because I do driveways and its hard to maneuver in tight areas, so I put it on a Jeep.
  12. boo-ya!

boo-ya! Junior Member
    from Maine

66 BADBOY - appreciate the tip. The BOSS website appears to confirm that their Sport Duty is ok for a 2000 Tundra. I realize the vehicle warranty, etc is an issue, but that's not necessarily a concern to me. Safety, of course, is, but from what i've been reading, the Tundra would be fine with the Sport Duty from BOSS.